Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago, the negative battery post on my daily driver had alot of corrosion built up on it. I took it off and cleaned everything real good, and now it's back (on the negative post only). Is this indicative of a problem, or a battery going bad (it's 6 & 1/2 years old), or just one of those unexplainable things that happens ?

Thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
6 1/2 years is pushing it, I'd replace the battery before you get stranded. Corrosion is fairly normal. For a quick fix, I use baking soda and a rinse with water, it comes right off the terminal. Recently, I've use the little felt rings on the terminal first, clean the post and connection, after tightening, spray a little red battery terminal paint on the post. I haven't had any corrosion since. You can get the felt rings and paint at Autozone or any parts supply house.

·
Retired
26,692 Posts
The corosion is caused by the battery gassing and then the gasses condensing on the terminals. Regular maintaince will prevent this. As Steve points out, keep the terminals and top of the battery clean. Use the felts and electrolytic grease to keep the corrosion in check. Moisture and on the surface of the batt between the terminals can increase the corossion rate so keep it cleaned off as well...

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Most times this is caused by overcharging. If a battery is not holding a charge or is being run down you will get the acid around the terminal. A dirty or loose terminal can cause the overcharging which in turn caused the acid buildup. As stated above regular cleaning of the terminal and clamp will help with preventing this issue.

Kev

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
If it's a delco side post battery it's most likely a leak. I've had two delcos do this to me within the past year (all 2002 batteries) and my neighbor has a 2003 thats starting to do it. The real stinker is that even though these batteries were 5 year (60 month) batteries, delco will only honor the OEM vehicle warranty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts