Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. I have a 396 in my 69 Camaro and I just noticed that the crank pully is too close to the crossmember. I can't even get the alt belt off. I have new BB mounts and frame mounts. The car has a automatic in it now but I have a muncie 4 speed I will be installing. What are my options here to get the crank pully away from the cross member ?

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
226 Posts
Without knowing what mounts you installed, I am guessing they are the wrong ones. All mounts are different for different years, engines, etc.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Not likely to be the engine mounts, but check that they are the correct 69BB mounts to be sure.

It will most likely be your trans and/or crossmember.
What auto and what crossmember is in it now?

SB mounts will work. It's what I have to use with my BB/PG and SB crossmember. When I switched to BB mounts, what you have now is exactly what happened to me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the correct frame/engine mounts. The crank pully is 3937787 and is about 7 3/4 in wide. It has 3 grooves but I only need 2. No AC. The fan seems to be centered correctly in the shroud. Could I use this pully ? It seems to be about 1 inch less in diameter which would give me another 1/2 in clearance. Plus it's a 2 groove.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=330034259843&rd=1&rd=1

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
As long as you are running a long water pump, you can use the ebay pulley (repro 3955291 pulley). That's what I run, along with the corresponding single groove WP pulley. I have plenty of clearance up front.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
My BBC (originally 375-396) has the original mounts and crank pulley that's the same as the ebay piece. I have about one inch of clearance under the pulley.
And your mounts, from what I can see, look OK. Just a little different than mine.

·
Super Moderator
33,286 Posts
Is the top of the crossmember suppose to be flat?

It appears in the picture the Xmember is bowed up, as in previous owner may have jacked up the front end there instead of using the main crossmember.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts