Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the car is a 68 with 396, im having problems getting the bracket on my new dipstick tube to line up with the head bolt?? i have bought and returned two dipsticks and they both wont fit to bolt on?? they are straight tubes and im unable to find my old one to see what i need, and it has headers..i cant believe im have this problem as it seems so easy, am i doing something wrong? any ideas?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Maybe you have a different dipstick than mine but mine bolts behind a header bolt. It's one of those chrome jobs, and maybe you're refering to a more original style.

------------------
68 468 700R4

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep thats where i was trying to bolt it too, the header bolt?? the two that i have tried are aftermarket chrome ones.

·
Registered
92 Posts
sorry to have to ask, but did you tap it into the oil pan hole? gently of course with a mallet...

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
You need to tap the dipstick all the way into the hole in the block, I did'nt have mine all the way in at first and ended up putting 6 quarts of oil in instead of 5, luckly I cought it.

------------------
68 468 700R4

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
My mistake, but still make sure it is seated all the way in. Did you get it in yet? that chrome stuff is usually pretty down on quality. I think I had to drill the hole out a little bigger and twist the mounting tab quite a bit to finally get it to fit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts