Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I located a stripped down 1969 camaro with the x22 trim tag. I was looking at the frame motor mounts and they are 5507 and 5508. This is suppose to be a 396 car. I thought the 5507 and 5508 are small block numbers. There was a non-matching 396 motor in the car and they guy said the mounts worked perfect. Guys let me know what you think.
thanks

·
Registered
936 Posts
1st
Can you post a pic of those mounts for reference?
I would like to see where the #'s are stamped.

2nd,
Jerry MacNeish's The Definitive 1969 Camaro Z28/28-SS396 3rd Edition Fact Book says the big block frame mounts for the 1969 396-427Cid are;

Left Side # 3980941
Right Side # 3980942

Kurt

·
Registered
936 Posts
It is also written that the 1969 302-350Cid frame mounts used are;

Left Side # 3945507
Right Side # 3945508

Kurt

·
Registered
936 Posts
I just sand blasted a pair of origional frame brackets in my 69RS origionally equipped with the 307.
These brackets had no part #'s what so ever.

Kurt

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just located a pair of these mounts at coast2camaro.com
They list these as 1969 z28 and ss350 mounts. They also state in their ad these mounts are used on factory BB cars.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
10,505 Posts
ENP said:
I just located a pair of these mounts at coast2camaro.com
They list these as 1969 z28 and ss350 mounts. They also state in their ad these mounts are used on factory BB cars.

The small block and big block mounts are different. Will they work? Yes, but the problems start when you have the big block engine with the small block mounts. Headers don't fit right, if you have the correct offset big block trans crossmember then your engine/trans assembly will be crooked. The factory moved the engine over and tilted for a reason, so I recommend using the correct big block engine and trans mount(s).

Jody

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
I've bought these mounts and still having trouble getting my Big block in.
Which ones ? The 302/350 mounts OR the 396 big block mounts ?

Make sure you use a big block transmission crossmember not just the trans. mount.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought the Big Block Mounts And have a G-Force crossmember for the 4l80E.They are the 08 and 07 ending # mounts from Summit I found on this forum.I bought a 7" Brake booster today and think that may solve some of the problems.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I drilled & slotted new transmission holes to the right 1 inch to carry the BB and 4 Speed trans. If you compare the 2 crossmembers that appears to be the only difference. I did this for both my BB conversions and all is fine.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
I drilled & slotted new transmission holes to the right 1 inch to carry the BB and 4 Speed trans. If you compare the 2 crossmembers that appears to be the only difference. I did this for both my BB conversions and all is fine.
It is actually 1/2" to the passenger side and 3/4" forward of the small blocks location. Your engine will sit crooked if you don't move it this distance and headers might not fit correctly etc. It might bolt up when done differently, but the transmission case can break if it is under stress too.

Make sure your G-force crossmember is offset... many aftermarket companies don't offset the mounting holes and use the same crossmember for both small and big blocks.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
I bought the Big Block Mounts And have a G-Force crossmember for the 4l80E.They are the 08 and 07 ending # mounts from Summit I found on this forum.I bought a 7" Brake booster today and think that may solve some of the problems.
The 07 and 08 mounts are for the '69 302/350 SMALL BLOCKS and not for a Big Block.

The 14 and 15 mounts or 41 and 42 mounts are for a '69 big block.

The GM mounts are NLA and some reproductions do have the old part numbers stamped in them.

Original frame stands (mounts) are quite expensive now days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm getting closer I bought a7 inch brake power booster which gave me some room now I need to stay off my oil pan and I'm having still having had Clarence I'm going to have to cut and move header tubes 2 on the passenger side and one on the drivers side the one is higher jack block I think it's causing my problem

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
The question is... Do you have the correct frame mounts ? From the numbers that you gave us, you have the WRONG frame mounts. (frame stands)

·
Registered
662 Posts
My original BB "frame" mounts are:

1# 3950113

1# 3950114

There may be others...hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Yes, those are correct '69 big block frame mounts.

the 3980941 (L) and 3980942 (R) will also work.

the 07 and 08 mounts are wrong !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts