Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read alot of posts concerning radiators for BB's, here's my dilemma. I'm running a 4 core with my 396, and it's developed a leak on one of the seams. I've called several radiator shops, and the best price I've gotten to braze it and clean it up is $85.
However, after taking it out last night, I was quite surprised at how heavy that sucker is......I've never had any heating problems, even without a fan shroud, but I was thinking maybe I'd be better of going with an aluminum radiator, for the weight loss more than anything else. Besides, if this thing develops another leak, I'm really throwing money out the window. I've read post's stating you can get a new 4 core for about $189.00, and an aluminum one for just a little bit more. Any suggestions? KZ http://www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd/

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Your current radiator should be good as new if the shop does the job right. Are they also going to remove the tanks and clean out the core tubes? Doing that would be a savings of $100 over buying a new one.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Agree with gheatly as it should come back like new. Have you ever soldered. The leak could probably be fixed pretty easily. If you buy a new one don't trash the old one. I would be interested possibly

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gheatly, Yes, I'm assuming that's what they meant by "going through" the old one, cleaning it out and pressure testing it. They would just fix the leak for 40 bucks, but I don't see the sense of taking it out and not getting it cleaned up at the same time. It doesn't look too bad inside, I've definitely seen worse. KZ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts