Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well shop called me today and asked me to come down.. Seems that the 2457 headers will not clear the power steering box...so in order to get it to fit they had to put a stack of washers under the motor stand almost a half inch thick...will this be OK or will the stands distort after time... I explained to them that they may want to try behind the motor mount but they preferred to place it under the stands....

Has anyone had to do this... I am running 1969 big block stands, 69 mounts...and 2457 headers...

Could use some input on this.. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone any thoughts...

Also noticed that the power glide just slid over less than a 1/4 inch... Should the tranny slide over an inch..

And last the transmission shifter cable bracket is on the header.. . Coulld really use some opinions...

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Same headers, same mounts. I used spacers between the mount and block. Spacers under the frame stands should be OK.

Also with the correct BB trans crossmember the trans should shift 1/2" to the passenger side.

Attachments

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same headers, same mounts. I used spacers between the mount and block. Spacers under the frame stands should be OK.

Also with the correct BB trans crossmember the trans should shift 1/2" to the passenger side.

Tom how many spacers???

I need 3/8 of an inch.. Spacer...seems like a lot... As for the tranny looks like it went forward almost an inch and toward passengers side maybe 1/4 to a 1/2..

Wow... Really don't want to hack this up....

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Same issue here, correct engine and frame mounts along with trans crossmember.

My solution:

Also had one header collector pointing down a bit so had to make a custom piece to bring into better alignment:

Also why do they put one of the collector bolt flanges facing down? Could easily have another 1/2" to inch clearance if they just oriented it differently:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok.. I can either dent the headers or use spacers for the engine stands or mounts...

Is one fix better than the other...by raising the engine the extra 3/8 on the driverside going to screw anything up.. Like drivetrain alignment or hood clearance...

Thanks in advance..

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
I think I used 4 grade 8 washers -ended up about 3/8". If you really look close, yes you can see the driver side is slightly higher than passenger, most people never notice. No problems with hood clearance, cowl hood.

I agree with Ed, Hooker should have made the collector with an exhaust flange that can rotate!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you running a auto or manual tranny... Had to take the bracket off the power glide not sure how to get it back on so it clears the collector??

Also why do some people have no problems with fit but some are way off?

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
I can't help you with the powerglide. manual TKO-600, no clearance problems there. Can you post a picture of the bracket?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same bracket as on a t350...Will head back to the shop tomorrow and grab a few pics...

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Also why do they put one of the collector bolt flanges facing down? Could easily have another 1/2" to inch clearance if they just oriented it differently:
Same deal on my 2131 Hookers (SBC 1 3/4"), so I called them and asked about it. The guy's reply was priceless. "Some people get mad when we have that bolt facing straight up at the top" So their solution was to piss everyone off - one side facing up, one side facing down. The Hooker's are in my attic collecting dust.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Ok.. I can either dent the headers or use spacers for the engine stands or mounts...

Is one fix better than the other...by raising the engine the extra 3/8 on the driverside going to screw anything up.. Like drivetrain alignment or hood clearance...

Thanks in advance..
Provided that you have the correct engine/frame mounts and trans mount, I think you would have less clearance issues beating on the headers. However the drawback is a bit less exhaust flow on that one port.

You could always mock it up with washers and see. Worst case if you have a lot of problems with alignment elsewhere you take out the washers and take your frustration out on the headers with a BFH.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts