Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I picked up and entire front disc brake kit, with everything included for a stock first gen. Guy also threw in some kyb front shocks, and big block heavy duty front springs, they are aftermarket. He basically gave everything to me, it was an awesome deal, I paid him $60.00 for everything. Needless to say, I owe him.

Anyways, my car is a '68 with a small block with aluminum heads, no a/c or power steering. My car sits kinda nose high right now with the original springs from the factory. Can I cut a coil or so off of the new big heavy duty springs to make the car sit lower? Or will the ride be extremely stiff? any input is welcome.

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
If those KYB shocks are the gas-a-justs... throw them away. FREE is not cheap enough. Many people cut their springs to fine tune their ride height. Use a cut off wheel, NOT a torch.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
If those KYB shocks are the gas-a-justs... throw them away. FREE is not cheap enough. Many people cut their springs to fine tune their ride height. Use a cut off wheel, NOT a torch.
Oh man I just got a deal on the KYB shocks. Tell me, whats wrong with them??

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
The KYB gas-a-justs are extremely stiff. I even had them holding the front end of my Camaro up, when I installed lowering springs. (People don't believe me, but that is how stiff they are.) I have heard the KYB GR-2's are ok.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, I have a few more questions.
I did read Pozzi's website about the conversion. Great info.
Here is what I got:
11" gm rotors.
Power booster that is stamped with "reman" on back, probably meaning re manufactured, it is black.
Here is what i'm having trouble with, the master cyl is from a vette, I believe it's the bigger one with the 1" or something cylinder. Will this be too much cylinder with the booster? Will the pedal be hard as crap to depress? I read something about it on the site.
I'm trying to figure out what combo will work before I test it out, i'd hate to be driving and something catastrophic happen, and I'm trying to complete this in under a week before I have to go back to college, so I'm also trying to order or find everything now.

The shocks up front now are not original, but suck, I'll prob just run the free ones and replace them if they are that horrible.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Can you elaborate?
The two posts are pretty conflicting.
Just spend the 89.00 and get the correct springs. Springs are not designed for someone to halfa__ them and expect them to work as initially designed. That technique of cutting them is absolutely NOT RECOMMENDED. You change the spring rates when you do that and they could be subject to failure.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does the spring rate change if you cut them with a grinder?
I would think it would just shorten the spring physically and not change the rate.
The another reason is the fact if I order the springs, I have no idea where to start, the original springs have probably sagged a bit, yet the car still sets high, so even with a 1"-2" drop spring it still may not even be enough.

I may just throw the old springs back in, or order drop springs by doing some digging on which will lower the correct amount.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Check out rockauto.com they have a set of springs for 68.00. They list several springs at higher prices too. When looking for new springs, the catalogs list them with or without A/C, SB or BB etc. I never heard of the brand at this price from RockAuto, but I have been buying from them for a couple of years now. Prices and service can't be beat. Usually two days the parts are at your door. Again, I think its the way to go over cutting your other springs. Just MHO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts