Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Just picked up a 454 4 bolt block that is oringial bore and no wear. I would like to know how to I.D. the block like if it is a Ls6, Ls7, or whatever is out there. Please let me know if you have any info. that I can use. Thanks Andy

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Mortec will id the casting number at the rear of the block and give you a "range"

This link at nastyZ (different from the one above) will decode the engine ID which is stamped into the pad in the front of the deck on the pass side, just ahead of the head. http://www.nastyz28.com/gm-chevy-codes/ Note there are a zillion files there cause there are lots of codes. They are alphabetical.

Look for "a letter" = plant where it was built = T for Tonawanda followed by 3 numbers (I think, for month and week assembled) followed by a 2 or 3 letter code. 3 letter codes were used after 1970, 2 letter codes are older.

Just from shear numbers produced, it's probably a 70's or 80's truck engine.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Probably will be something like "TSC" or thereabouts....

My '75, P/U 454 is...

Only b/c there are way more P/U 454's than all the car ones ever made..

pdq67

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some numbers: Please help with these numbers and codes. Thanks :confused:

pass. side in front of head pad

CJE201867

Backside behind dist.

F 108

Back of block trans side

"H" 445 (but is written backwards)

IV (?)

HI PERF

Driverside back between the block and trans.

14015445 OR 14015443

Both sides of block

GM 7.4

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Start with the block casting number, 14015445, which was used in trucks from 73-90.

Casting date of F108 means it was cast June 10, 1988.

The CJExxxxxx looks like a partial VIN, where C would be Chevy Truck and E would be the Linden NJ plant. J identifies it as installed in a 1988 model year truck.

There should also be a second set of numbers on the pad with the CJE number, like Txxxxyyy, where xxxx are four numbers and yyy is four letters, should be Tyy or Uyy.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info. I will tak another look at it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts