Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I saved my 1 & only Camaro from the junkyard. It's a '67 SS ragtop bought for $200 in '79. I still remember the very first aftermarket Camaro catalog to come out by Classic - just several pages of parts (no photos!) still available from GM. I spent many hours scrounging junkyards and swap meets looking for HTF parts and options to add. I don't do that much anymore since nearly all of those HTF parts are now being reproduced. It just kinda killed the thrill of the find. Over the years I've had just about every nut & bolt on my car off but have never had the car off the road for any longer than the 2 months it was being painted in '88. I've made countless mods in the interest of making it more pleasurable to drive & of course faster! I prefer to hide these mods from the casual eye. I still drive it on trips of several hundred miles or out to the store for milk. The paint has stone knicks, the valve covers a light coat of dirt and seems the chrome is always in need of a little attention. Guess I'd just rather drive than polish!:yes:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Welcome! Nice looking vert. How's it going in wildfire country?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not terrible at the moment but yesterday it was like being in a fog bank - NO top down cruising possible. The sat. photos are amazing.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Welcome to the Team Rod. Wow...even back in 1979, $200.00 bucks for a vert. What a deal! How did you manage that? That is money well spent considering what the car is worth today. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car was sitting beside a gas station in Maine with a blown 12 bolt and a missing wheel & axle. I stopped to see if it was for sale. The guy pumping gas said yes, that a junkyard owner had offered him $175 that morning. He said he'd take $200 and I called a tow truck. Got a replacement 12 bolt for $35 and started driving it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts