Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
amazing,,, only in America :) :beers:

·
20,005 Posts
I showed wife and said " I want this for my B-day" :D she just shook her head.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I thought kids were made to do this job? :-D Although i have no kids and im 20 years old, but my dad told me that was my job to get up and get him a beer when he needed it hehe.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I thought kids were made to do this job? Although i have no kids and im 20 years old, but my dad told me that was my job to get up and get him a beer when he needed it hehe.
LOL!!! I have my three girls trained to fetch beers! :thumbsup: Way better than the beer launcher as they put the beer in my hand, eliminating all risk of head trauma from a bad lauch or catch! :D

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
I thought kids were made to do this job? :-D Although i have no kids and im 20 years old, but my dad told me that was my job to get up and get him a beer when he needed it hehe.
Not getting on you, so don't take it that way. I have never had my kids get me a beer. If I can't get it myself then I don't need one. I never wanted to have my kids think it's even OK to touch or handle beer or any other booze.

When people come to my home they know the rules and thier kids are expected to abide by them also. I have over the years asked people to leave for this very reason or they keep asking my kids to get them beer after I have explained the rule to them.

It's just my thing. To this day my youngest daughter is 18 and I still don't ask her and she still will not get anyone a beer, I don't even have to say anything to her (last 5 or 6 years) she just tells people she is not to have or handle alcohole until she is 21.

Now how has all this played out. They have all come to us and said they felt very pressured when at a party to drink. They wanted to fit in and they wanted to try it but knew that the age is 21 to drink. When some one asked "aww come on I know you took a drink when you get one for your dad" they all have said "I have never gotten one for my dad". The funny thing is they have never even hed a beer or a package of beer or anything else.

Yes they have drank with friends, yes they have been to partys and had other kinds of booze and yes we have gotten phone calls in the middle of the night to come get one of them from a party because they would not ride witha friend that drank.

I know my kids will be kids but I tried everything I could to make them think about the actions they take in regard to drinking. We have always told them don't drink and drive and don't ride with friends that have. We will come and get them and they will get a Q&A the next day about what happened, where and with who.

Their friends are so amazed at the communication that goes on when one leaves and says where they are going, with whom and to do what. Last words are we love you, be safe and don't do anything stupid.

My son is away at collage and one of his friends called about 6 months ago at 2:00AM and asked for aride home from a party. I got up and took him home, no questions asked. He knew I would be calling his parents in the morning to let them know I had given him a ride and he called anyway.

The frig is pretty cool and I would love to have one but all I ask is think about what you ask of your children.

Joe :beers:

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Interesting approach Joe.

My grandfather is an alchoholic and my mother has always been very uncomfortable in situations where people are drinking (too many bad memories I suppose) or even around alchohol. My father in law is also an alchoholic, but my wife is not as uptight as my mother for whatever reason (she drinks occasionally, been drunk once in her life). Me, never having had trouble with alchohol (and not an alchoholic), I guess I never thought much about how people (or my kids) are affected by seeing me drink a beer or two or "fetch" me a beer. My kids have never seen me drunk, unless they think that if they see me drink one or two beers a couple of times a year that I'm "drunk".

I think that most impressive thing that I got out of your post was the communication thing. IMHO, having the communication and relationship with your kids is huge. Again, IMHO, the biggest thing leads kids astray is if they don't have that tight relationship with their family.

·
Super Moderator
32,776 Posts
I believe the best beer launcher is the wife, she brings two of them, opened already. One for me and one for her.

Now if I could get an automated pooper scooper for the back yard.........

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Yes they have drank with friends, yes they have been to partys and had other kinds of booze and yes we have gotten phone calls in the middle of the night to come get one of them from a party because they would not ride witha friend that drank.

I know my kids will be kids but I tried everything I could to make them think about the actions they take in regard to drinking. We have always told them don't drink and drive and don't ride with friends that have. We will come and get them and they will get a Q&A the next day about what happened, where and with who.

Their friends are so amazed at the communication that goes on when one leaves and says where they are going, with whom and to do what. Last words are we love you, be safe and don't do anything stupid.

Joe :beers:
Its all about the communication Joe.We have always told our oldest no matter when where or what all she has to do is call and we will come pick her up.She is eighteen now and still calls when she leaves work or school to let us know when she will be home or what she is doing.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Interesting approach Joe.

My grandfather is an alchoholic and my mother has always been very uncomfortable in situations where people are drinking (too many bad memories I suppose) or even around alchohol. My father in law is also an alchoholic, but my wife is not as uptight as my mother for whatever reason (she drinks occasionally, been drunk once in her life). Me, never having had trouble with alchohol (and not an alchoholic), I guess I never thought much about how people (or my kids) are affected by seeing me drink a beer or two or "fetch" me a beer. My kids have never seen me drunk, unless they think that if they see me drink one or two beers a couple of times a year that I'm "drunk".

I think that most impressive thing that I got out of your post was the communication thing. IMHO, having the communication and relationship with your kids is huge. Again, IMHO, the biggest thing leads kids astray is if they don't have that tight relationship with their family.
I know exacly what your saying, seems to run in my family also. I do not have issues eiather but have seen so much that I talk alot to them. Funny how things make us react to our kids. I am sort of a prude about the kids don't get me a beer thing and like I said it's just me and I sure don't look down on people that allow it. Funny thing is a few friends have said.....I just might try that myself. One is just about as adiment about it as I am.

Joe

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I know exacly what your saying, seems to run in my family also. I do not have issues eiather but have seen so much that I talk alot to them. Funny how things make us react to our kids. I am sort of a prude about the kids don't get me a beer thing and like I said it's just me and I sure don't look down on people that allow it. Funny thing is a few friends have said.....I just might try that myself. One is just about as adiment about it as I am.

Joe
I appreciate you posting what you did....it's something to think about, that is what the kids pick up on as far as drinking.

If Jesus is your co-pilot maybe you should trade seats
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
The one thing this all started though is if I ask the wife to get me a beer....she says "get up and get it your self or you don't need one". :rolleyes:

Looking at it from my perspective I have all the right reasons to spend $1500.00 on one of these beer launchers (web site has the price). :noway:

I think I'll walk to the fridg and buy some Camaro parts instead, but I do like it.

Another to-do added to the list of what to build in my spare time when I have it and have extra money to blow on wanted but not needed stuff that I would like to have. :D

Joe

·
Registered
419 Posts
Joe I agree with you on this but for a different reason.I come from a family of beer drinkers that would make me the waiter a cook outs and family functions.Every time somebody need a beer it was Fred we need another beer.Than I would get it and it was you forgot to bring so and so one.I hated it.Serving family members and straighers.Made myself a promise when I got older I would not carry on this or let somebody use my kids the same way.I get up and get it myself or I dont need it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts