Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the bell housing off a 3 speed Saginaw will work on a 4 speed Saginaw or Muncie.

·
Registered
500 Posts
To the best of my knowledge the only difference in the '60's and '70's bellhousings was the bolt pattern on the engine side. There is a Chevy pattern and a Buick, Olds, Pontiac (BOP) pattern. I personally have bolted a 4-speed Saginaw to a bell that had a 3-speed Saginaw originally. Muncie should be no problem.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11

·
Registered
538 Posts
My car was an original I6 with the three in the tree saginaw 3spd. I now have the GMPP 350HO, AutoGear M22 and I am still using the original bellhousing. Fit with no problems. I did, however, have to modify the inspection cover to fit around the one piece rear seal of the motor.

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear(soon to be a BT 12 bolt), PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
If the 3-speed was behind an I-6, a 307, or 327, the bellhousing is probably for a small 153-tooth flywheel which requires you to use a 10.4-inch clutch.

·
Registered
538 Posts
good póint, I forgot to mention that. I went with the 10.4" Hays street/strip and a GMPP 153 tooth flywheel.

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear(soon to be a BT 12 bolt), PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts