1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please tell me about this Camaro.

What was it?
A package? A trim?
What was different between a Berlinetta and a standard Camaro?

How many years did the Berlinetta run?

What engine did it have?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I bought a new Berlinetta Camaro in 1978. It was basically a deluxe version of the base camaro. When I bought mine I had a 350 with a 4 speed in it optioned with upgraded wheels and spoiler. Cost was $5,600.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
I believe the name(option) change was from LT to Berlinetta. Frankly I dont like them. I get a funny feeling when Im around one.

LOL

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Please tell me about this Camaro.

What was it?
A package? A trim?
What was different between a Berlinetta and a standard Camaro?

How many years did the Berlinetta run?

What engine did it have?
Luxury package. Replaced Type LT for the 1979 model year, and was discontinued in 1986 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The '84 Berlinetta was my first car. Goofy pod stereo and all. Tape deck wouldn't open. Had buttons for everything - blinkers wouldn't work. T-tops that leaked. v8 and nothing more than bike tires. It would shine up though. I think the color was copper? that rusty red looking color. Holy crap i was cool.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did they ever make a car called a Chevy II?
I saw a car that said it was a Chevy II once but this thing was a 68 Camaro. Maybe they made a first gen with that name sake?

No?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also,

I remember a friend of mine in Sacramento in the 80's had a 68 Camaro, 327 with a Pwer glide.
This car had a very 'stock' look to the engine. He said that it had an 'rv' cam. (????)
Anyway, he street raced it a lot and was never beaten. This thing just had a fightin gear or something because it took off with a real good hole shot and accelerated pretty hard.
He'd just leave it in 1st and hit the gas. The race was over by 50mph, not enough room in downtown Sac to go more than 1 light to light or two.
I never had the nerve with my 69 Firebird then, I would have been immediately caught. I roasted my tires for a curbside burnout contest once and was caught by Jon law. I won the money but the ticket was for more than I won.

He never brought it to the track despite my insists, I really wanted to see what sort of times it would make. I don't even think it had headers.

RV cam?
I wish he could have been more specific. It did have a slight lope to it but that's it. Still, that car pulled really well for a SBC.
Was the 327 and pwer glide a common package in the day?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Also,

I remember a friend of mine in Sacramento in the 80's had a 68 Camaro, 327 with a Pwer glide.
This car had a very 'stock' look to the engine. He said that it had an 'rv' cam. (????)
Anyway, he street raced it a lot and was never beaten. This thing just had a fightin gear or something because it took off with a real good hole shot and accelerated pretty hard.
He'd just leave it in 1st and hit the gas. The race was over by 50mph, not enough room in downtown Sac to go more than 1 light to light or two.
I never had the nerve with my 69 Firebird then, I would have been immediately caught. I roasted my tires for a curbside burnout contest once and was caught by Jon law. I won the money but the ticket was for more than I won.

He never brought it to the track despite my insists, I really wanted to see what sort of times it would make. I don't even think it had headers.

RV cam?
I wish he could have been more specific. It did have a slight lope to it but that's it. Still, that car pulled really well for a SBC.
Was the 327 and pwer glide a common package in the day?
I ran an RV cam in my semi-built 283 all through the 80's. Before the days of chevy performance at every dealership...you could buy a cam that was put in the motors that came stock in the RV's of the day...you know the vans with a camper body. Chevy put a beefier cam in them to get the horsepower up so that landbarge could actually run at highway speeds. By the time I bought one they had all kinds,I ran a "b" phase RV cam...little lope but didnt affect vacuum so the pwr breaks worked well etc. The biggest thing was they had all kinds phase A,B,C etc...each one was good at one thing or another good mileage,horsepower gain etc.If you were looking for a cam that would mesh well with stock parts,valve springs and the like it was the way to go.They have died out as the RV has...and chevy has gone much more high-tech with the stuff they offer over the counter now...

·
Registered
2 Posts
the berlinetta was the caddilac of camros hahaha... in 1979 gm sold 67, 236 berlinettas.. the total number of camaros sold in 79 was 282,571, the most theyve ever sold in one year

1 - 18 of 18 Posts