Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best (and cheapest) 4-speed auto swap? Im only running about 150hp (its an old tired 327 that I built in my garage 25 years ago). Looking to swap the trans for a few years til I can get to the LS engine swap.

200-4R or 700-R4? given my low sad hp what is the best bet?

Thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
For the short term living behind the 327 a 200R4 would be a good bet. It is the same length as the TH350 you have so there will be no drive shaft mods needed. TV cable set up is critical.
You will need the following.
A trans.
If you are looking at using OEM stuff look for one from g body Monte Carlo SS, g body Cutlass 442 or a police caprice. These have the good shift points. You could look for one from a GN, they are the best, but they are unattainable at a reasonable price.
Cross member.
You could make one or use a 1st gen Camaro TH400 cross member and center the mounting pad. Or buy a new specific one.
Linkage and shifter.
You can buy the Shiftworks kit if you have a stock horse shoe shifter and cable.
Carb linkage bracket.
I think Jegs or Summit sells these so you can set up the TV cable. Mounts to your carb. If you pull the trans from an existing car get the bracket.
Lock up kit.
This is so you can lock up the converter in 4th gear or others. BTO sell a kit or you could make a custom one from a cruise control cancel switch and a vacuum switch. There are a lot of different ways you can lock and unlock the converter.

There is a ton of info out there on how to do this.

Good Luck!

Ted

1 - 2 of 2 Posts