Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for an aluminum manifold for my 327 upgrade. I am using the finned Z style covers and I would like to get a maniiold that is as close to the winters forge Z/28 manifold as I can. I have not looked for them for many years but I would suspect the originals are either too costly or fairly hard to get. I really am only going for the look of that manifold.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am currently running the stock 4 barrell manifold that comes with the 275 horse engine. And I will probably go with the stock carb if possible.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. I think I can remember seeing this manifold and a cast one in some of the older Camaro catalogues. I am just not sure if they still carry them.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
You will not find a winters stamped manifold on anything but a GM manifold of that style. You will also be looking at a square bore type mounting surface. These are available out on Ebay, I sold one with a cracked bolting ear for $150, referred to as a "472" casting manifold.
Edlebrock and Weind make similuar dual plane intakes, but possibaly for a few dollars more , you can get the real thing.
I personally like the air gap series. If you want one with a no name casting, might look at a Hurricane or Professional names. Beware of castings that will crack when tightening down.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I guess I wasn't as clear as I thought. I have owned 3 Zs and I know about the Winters forge snowflake. I am looking for something that looks similar and I will not have to worry about cracks etc. I was hoping that someone made a repop of that intake for a reasonable price. I see the cast one on the Classic Industries site, and I thought they made an aluminum one as well. I don't like to give free advertising to the manufacturers, but if that is all that is available for a decent price I will have to go that way. Again I am not looking for anything other than the look.
Pardon my dumb question but what are the Air Gap series?

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I don't like to give free advertising to the manufacturers, but if that is all that is available for a decent price I will have to go that way. Again I am not looking for anything other than the look.
Pardon my dumb question but what are the Air Gap series?
Grind the manufacturers logo off and bead blast the intake to cover it up.Air gap seperates the intake runners from the bottom of the intake to cool it off.
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/engines_drivetrain/induction_poweradders/0406sc_airgap/photo_02.html

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sinc: Thanks for the Vid. It is alway nice to see the actual unit in action.
So it seems that the Air gap is the best fit. I will be running my 327 with a medium cam and hopefully the quad carb.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Go w/ an ebay/swap meet Holley 300-36!

I have a new one in my bedroom closet for my next junk292/301/306 engine!

It is almost a dead-nuts copy of the good Z-28 intake except it is right at a 1/4" taller so imho, it is a true high-rise!

pdq67

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks PDQ I will keep my eye out for a 300-36. Has anyone tried one of these.
It says it is good for all small blocks up to 86. Any issues.
https://store.gmperformanceparts.com/store/SelectProd.do?prodId=7497&redir=true&manufacturer=GM&category=Intake%20Manifold&name=Low%20profile%20aluminum%20four%20barrel%20manifold%20&model=<!--10185063-->

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is from the GM performance catalogue. For some reason you have to cut and paste the url.
Part # 10185063
Low profile aluminum four barrel manifold
Intake manifold, ZZ series
Aluminum manifold used on all ZZ series 350 HO engines
Can be used on all small-blocks through 1986
Dual-pattern carburetor flange is approximately 1/2 lower than the 1970 LT1 intake, yet produces the same horsepower
Provisions for all late-model accessory brackets, EGR, and an integral hot air choke
A heat shield can be mounted underneath for improved
The price is $292 at the Chev parts counter.
Only symbol on it is a bowtie.
I like the look.
Any thoughts.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i think GM still sells the "Z/28" intake- but like everything else like it, you gotta mortgage your house and sell your first born child into servitude to afford it.
a plain old Edelbrock RPM would look the closest, and you could probably get a used one for $75-$100. otherwise there is the Weiand 8004- fill and grind off the big "W" on the top of the intake runner, and it would look pretty close to stock. it even has the firing order cast into it like a stock intake. i've got a nice one for sale for $50 if you'd like it- shoot me a PM if interested. it is painted orange, but is otherwise in almost perfect condition. i bought it new in 2005 and just took it off the car last week.

·
Registered
108 Posts
brian i installed the zz4 intake on my 350 and it seems to work well and looks good.i am also running GM finned valve covers. my carb guy highly recommended them if going after market. picked up a brand new one on epay for under $100.

·
Registered
191 Posts
What is the going price on a 472 intake?? I know where one is with the center divider cut down mebbee 1/2 inch but other than that seems pretty decent.. Gotta be cleaned up.. To go along with the '69 intake he also has a dated '70 Holley List 4555 GM p/n 3972121 original unit..
How much in Cdn funds for the intake w/ carb??
T.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bikes:Rick did you mean that you got the intake for 100 bucks? The one I am looking at is 290 US. Also where did you get the valve covers. I have had a couple of sets over the years and they seem to have really jumped up in price.
Is your motor a stock 350 iron head motor? Were there any issues?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Ted by 472 do you mean the Z/28 style intake? I am not interested in the carb only the intake. I will check in the what's it worth area for an answer to price.
Thanks all.

·
Registered
827 Posts
so what if i milled the center out of the intake on my 68z, would it help on the bottom end? it is kind of doggy below 4000rpm but once it get spinning 8000 comes very fast. i have the off road gm cam and headers other than that it is stock with factory 4.88 gears and a m21. maybe this would help?

·
Registered
108 Posts
brian i bought the zz4 intake on ebay brand new for 75 plus ship. i also picked up the gm finned valve covers for a little over a 100 on ebay. they were used but very nice no cracks or welds.my 69 camaro has a 71 motor stock heads and the intake and valve covers bolted right up no problems or issues the only thing i did have to do was put a 1" ring on top of the quadrajet to get my cowl air cleaner the right height

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess I better start Ebay shopping. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I've used the STD Edelbrock RPM for years on my SBC's (Great Intake)with lowered plenum as noted in the flic. Sandblast the intake, Prime with Ferris Epoxy Undercoat and top it of with Rattle Can Ceramic Enamel then baked in an oven for 20 minutes at 200. A great finish and looks stock.

For a Mildly Modified BBC the Performer and the RPM works Best without the Plenum lowered; however, if you got some Hi-Dollar items in the block to handle the Upper Rpm by all means lower the Plenum.

Here's my 600Hp 460 SR BBC with a Holley 80501-1 830 Annular 4 Corner sitting on an RPM Air GAP. Most don't notice the motor is anything but Stock ;o)

A SBC with a clean Aluminum RPM complemented with the Vette or Z28 Finned Alumimun LT1 covers is hard to tell from Stock Item.

Edelbrock RPM's are a Strong Casting and have been around for years. Used ones are cheap. $30 to $50 should buy you a Good Used one for a SBC.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts