Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is that time to buy a battery but I dont want to go with the repro delco ones because I feel they wouldnt be as good as a new modern one. My car isnt orignal anyway so it doesnt matter what battery. I notice that optima red tops are in alot of catalogs. But what are you guys running in your 69's. Also what about abttery cables, classic industries has exact repros for 60 bucks a pair but then they have "non-cosmetic fitting" ones for like 40 bucks. Would it make a differnce???
Thanks
Tim

------------------
69 Coupe, 350ci,TH350,
RUSTBUCKET FULL OF CASH

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Depends on what you're after. I have a 68 coupe. It's in very good condition. I am opting to keep the appearance orignal as in interior and trim. On the other hand, being a coupe (non SS / RS) I am not getting too particular about original components. The return on a coupe ususally doesn't warrant extream attention to detail IMHO. I put an optima battery in mine and purchased cables at my local autozone. The salesman pitch on the optima states that it should outlast a conventional battery due to 'superior resistance to vibration'. I bought mine to minimize electrolite pukage. BTW: I've heard you can buy a 'topper' for your battery to make it look original.

-dnult

·
Registered
264 Posts
Have an Interstate 850 CCA battery in the car. Had it about 6 months and am well pleased with the power of this battery. As for cables usually buy whatever is available at the parts store.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i have the Exide version of the Optima- and it has not let me down in a year of service. even kept going after listening to the radio for a few hours one night with the car off. as for cables, i have a set of cables from an 87 Caprice cop car i parted out a few years ago, mainly due to the fact that they are in good shape and fit my extra wiring needs perfectly. when it is time to upgrade, i am making my own cables out of 00 welding cable- but when that happens, the battery will be out back, replaced underhood with a gutted shell of a battery for looks.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

·
Registered
538 Posts
I picked up the cheapest Die Hard from Sears two years ago just to be able to get my 69 out of the barn where it had been left to rot for 15 years. When I started the car for the first time (three weeks ago) the battery still had enough juice to fire the car. I also use Ricks cheap cables #SRP-53 @ $9.95 (+) and the #SRN-32 @ $6.95 (-) and the fit well, look good and do the job.

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear, PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a Delco Freedom Battery that I put in in 1985. It seems to be doing just fine. Still has the green indicator and will start the car even if the head lights have been on for 2 hrs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts