Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dead battery in my 69 and was wondering if there is a "better battery"? I want a black battery to look more original and do not want it to stand out. I am under the impression that Johnson makes most of them.

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
Ones made by Johnson Controls are the ones you want. Google their site and they list the brands they make. Do a search on here for Advance Auto brand. Their is a coupon code to order one online to pickup at store and save 30%. Just did it two weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
In my cars, boats ,dedicated audio I've used Optima,Deca and Stinger. But the last battery I bought for my daily driver truck in 2010 was an Odyssey,still going strong, I already have and Odyssey mount for the trunk of My Camaro since it's done so well in the truck.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
AC Delco. They sell them at Bennett Auto.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
I switched over from Optima type to "Odyssey" brand in most my Marine and Truck applications a few years back after several disappointing experiences with Optima's.

The battery in my ski boat is now well over 6 seasons old and still performing flawlessly :yes:
In a marine application our batteries are subject to numerous starts, down times between starts while powering accessories (such as the bower, pumps and other 'higher draw' loads) and then a long cold winter on a maintainer until the cycle repeats the following summer. This can be he11 on a battery.
Previously I felt lucky to get a couple full seasons out of an Optima, but at least could return for some credit at times.

I also have these in several trucks, cars and even some farm tractors - all have performed very well and are the present 'go-to' when a battery fails.

I first heard about these from some Off-Road buddies while looking for a replacement for my 77 Chevy 4X4.
They are involved in the rock-crawling crowd and swear by these as they can take the pounding that was causing a lot of their other spiral type units to fail.
One guy at the store even told of his falling out when the mount broke during some hard rock bounces and he just picked it up and bungy'd it back in - said it's still doing fine :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I will go with Walmart by Johnson control with 100% replacement for 3 years and it is all black. My Delcos have only lasted 2 or 3 years with a poor warranty. Granted my 69's aren't driven much, but have trickle charger on them. I appreciate your replies guys.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Ones made by Johnson Controls are the ones you want. Google their site and they list the brands they make. Do a search on here for Advance Auto brand. Their is a coupon code to order one online to pickup at store and save 30%. Just did it two weeks ago.
X2 on this. Ive done it at least 4 times in the past 3 years. No bad ones yet. Ive got one in the camaro, jeep, mustang, daughters sable and Ive bought a few for friends who cant figure out the internet also. LOL.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts