Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which book would you think is the best at giving exact details and explanations for building up a small block? There seems to be a lot of books on the stands on this subject and sense they are not cheep I only want to by one. I am looking for a book that gives the basics of tear down and rebuild. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
"How to Build the SMALLBLOCK CHEVROLET" by Larry Atherton and Larry Schreib. It is an S-A Design Workbench book.
Very good book with alot of detail and explanation.

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...

·
Registered
622 Posts
The next books are "How to Hotrod small block chevy, then for good measure, power secrets by Smokey Yunick all the books mentioned in this thread are widely available.. try a search on Amazon

John

·
Registered
269 Posts
Also check out "How to Rebuild Your Small Block Chevrolet" by David Vizard. Put out by HP Books, it has a lot of details and photos and covers the process from start to finish.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Go to Barnes and Noble (my "Library") and leaf through the books mentioned. Then pick the one/ones which best suit your needs. They usually have a good selection to choose from.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Oh, forgot to mention, many of the books are geared towards race engines. I had that trouble when I looked for a book for my big block. I chose two, Big Block Performance, and Chevy Rat Motors. If you want a basic instruction manual for rebuilding (tolerances, torque specs, etc) then maybe a shop manual, instead.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The Vizard book is the best one, in my opinion as well. Especially for doing an older engine like in the 1st gen & early 2nd gen camaro's. Very easy to follow. I've had my copy since around 1980.

------------------
David
Camaro - '68 327 Coupe, '86 Z-28 IROC 305 TPI
Corvette - '73 Mako Shark II replica, '79 L-82, '82 Cross-fire, '01 Coupe

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I just recieved my copy of How to rebuild your small block Chevy by David Visard and it is exactly what I expected. I have allready read up to around page 60. This book is full of info that will come in handy for many years Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
David Vizard has several other excellant books on specific areas such as budget performance, cylinder heads and carbs/intakes.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's

1 - 10 of 10 Posts