Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, we did this before ,now that I am getting closer to the topic, what was decided on this site as the best oils to break motors in with? I know we covered this and I came to conclusion that API oil spec'ed CI, CJ ,CC & CD. All of these oils were said to have best friction properties when breaking in camshaft and lifters.

This may not apply but my new roller cam motor will be looking at one of these for life mainly for friction issues. I am understanding the CI spec oil is best? Rotella and Delo are in the CJ categories. Did I miss any?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Re: Best breakin oils

I used Rotella . Why the old man that thought me say so. and I never had a cam, baring failure using it.
just for about three hours of running time than I change oil and used 5-30 name brand oil
Larry

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Rotella & Delo I agree, but these oils with ZDDP , if I am saying this correctly, all have a certain API label such as CI-CJ-CD-CC. Does anyone know which label is better? Which is superior to the other? Does it matter?

So far I have not found much on which "label" is best. My intention was to break in and stay with this type of oil.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts

I break all my motors in with Rotella. Then I use Castrol. I have used Delo becuz My Father likes it and also had no problems.

Don, I will ask a close friend of my family when I get time. He will have the answer. He Owns Badger Oil Co. in Altus, OKLA

·
Registered
5,772 Posts

Hi Don i use rotella and add a can of GM EOS , broke MrDanD's in using this no problems at all .
Mark.
I second that. Rotella + EOS, although Ive heard/read that the Rotella formula will be changing soon, if it hasnt already.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts

Oil for Diesel engines wont change. it cant. any oil made for a diesel is a good break in oil because for one it is still mineral based oil. I just prefer Rotella or Delo if its closer.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts

Rotella 30W (Available at Walmart) and GM EOS ($8 at Chevrolet dealer)
Thats what I used for my CC268 breakin, it worked out great!

·
Registered
179 Posts

Oil for Diesel engines wont change. it cant. any oil made for a diesel is a good break in oil because for one it is still mineral based oil. I just prefer Rotella or Delo if its closer.
Diesel oil will also take a hit, the problem lies in the reduction of additives such as Zink, because of EPA emmissions, Most all engines now are roller type rockers and do not require the same past levels of Zink and otherstuff that was needed for flat tappet cams. Here is a post from SYC

The "diesel oils" have also been affected recently. The API-spec "CI-4" diesel oil (which has a very high level of ZDDP) has been around for a long time (Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac, etc.). However, the new EPA Tier II Bin 5 diesel emission requirements that go into effect next year require the use of catalytic converters and particulate traps, which are "poisoned" by the high level of ZDDP in the CI-4 diesel oil, so there's a NEW diesel oil, API spec "CJ-4", with a much-reduced level of ZDDP, intended for use with the new low-sulfur diesel fuels in the 2008 Tier II-regulated diesel engines.

CI-4 diesel oil offers better protection for sliding elements than the new ZDDP-reduced CJ-4 diesel oil; diesel oil used to be diesel oil, but now there are two DIFFERENT diesel oils.

--------------------
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Here is the whole thread about Zink in oil at SYC

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/253646/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

From what I have read the racing oils will not be effected by the reduction of additives suck as Zink, Valvoline was one that was mentioned on one of the boards I was reading about this subject .http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?Product=94
In there adds they state "increased levels of Zink"

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts

Thanks Mike, learn something new everyday...:D

Diesel oil will also take a hit, the problem lies in the reduction of additives such as Zink, because of EPA emmissions, Most all engines now are roller type rockers and do not require the same past levels of Zink and otherstuff that was needed for flat tappet cams. Here is a post from SYC

The "diesel oils" have also been affected recently. The API-spec "CI-4" diesel oil (which has a very high level of ZDDP) has been around for a long time (Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac, etc.). However, the new EPA Tier II Bin 5 diesel emission requirements that go into effect next year require the use of catalytic converters and particulate traps, which are "poisoned" by the high level of ZDDP in the CI-4 diesel oil, so there's a NEW diesel oil, API spec "CJ-4", with a much-reduced level of ZDDP, intended for use with the new low-sulfur diesel fuels in the 2008 Tier II-regulated diesel engines.

CI-4 diesel oil offers better protection for sliding elements than the new ZDDP-reduced CJ-4 diesel oil; diesel oil used to be diesel oil, but now there are two DIFFERENT diesel oils.

--------------------
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Here is the whole thread about Zink in oil at SYC

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/253646/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

From what I have read the racing oils will not be effected by the reduction of additives suck as Zink, Valvoline was one that was mentioned on one of the boards I was reading about this subject .http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?Product=94
In there adds they state "increased levels of Zink"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts