Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my cordless drill for awhile, since I didn't need one with more power, and am looking for something better. I guess the bottom line is I am looking for the most juice - something that can drill into concrete or at least through solid wood - for the least money. I don't need a lot of bells and whistles. I would appreciate any opinions you have.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Dewalt 18volt, they are real good drills, and tough as nails. We pretty much use them exclusively in my line of work (construction Electrician), and they get the crap beat out of them daily, and never quit. You can drill lots of holes (hole saws) in metal and any hard material before they run out of juice.
The one thing to consider, if you don't really need the extra power, go for a 14 volt, the 18 is pretty heavy and wears your hand out before too long.
The distributors and guys that have used them tell me the new Makita drills are pretty good now too, but I have not used one yet.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have a Dewalt 18 v. and the batteries have gotten weak. The thing is probably 15 yrs.old and has gotten quite a bit of use around the house. Went to Home Depot a couple of months ago to pick up a couple of batteries and I believe that they were about $70 EACH. Ended up going to Wally's and got a Black and Decker 18 V. w/2 batteries for $49. I'm sure that the B & D wont last 15 years but Damn if Im gonna pay that for Dewalt batteries.

·
10,158 Posts
I have the Sears 19.2v half inch two speed variable drill. It's amazing how good this thing is! I'm particular about the chuck quality, this one grabs the drill and won't let it slip! I drilled out two grade 8 bolts 1/2 diameter that were rusted and broken in a Caterpillar tractor with it.

Sears sells two 1/2" 19.2v drills, the good one has a separate clamp-on assist handle near the chuck, and the chuck does not have the usual ring to grab just behind the chuck when you tighten it. There is an internal pin that locks the chuck from rotating when the drill stops, this system really is nice. Sears makes another almost identical 1/2" drill with conventional (two hand) hand chuck that doesn't grab nearly as well. Mine has an LED light on it which is nice when drilling in a dark area. I like the 1/2" chuck because it will hold the larger hole saws.

I bought the 1/2" drill and a smaller screw gun as a set, the screw gun has a hex bit chuck and it drives screws very well. It uses an impact system so you don't have to adjust the tension. Both are heavy due to the battery weight and I still use my old 9.7v Makita for 1/8" hole drilling on light jobs.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I've got a dewalt 18v too, first one was maybe 6 years old when the second battery died, bought a new one at Ace, for $99!!! Ouch. Couple months later the gearbox jammed, it wouldn't turn. Few days later it worked again, then it stuck with the trigger all the way in and the selector in reverse!

I said enough is enough and went and got a new one. To preserve my hundred dollar battery I got another 18v DeWalt. I don't like the new one at all. Only 2 speeds (the dewalt has both a multi-speed gearbox and a variable speed trigger) instead of the 3 the old one had, and the clutch doesn't lock. Even in the lock position, you hit something tough and BUZZZZZ clutch slips.

I do like the new locking chuck, locks solid when you tighten it, and it will grip a 1/16" bit (old one wouldn't, at least not at 6 years old.)

And the darn thing does weigh a ton.

I'd say buy the crafstman or the B&D.

·
Registered
374 Posts
We use a couple Makitas on the job. (Putting up sign frames & signs). We use them all day long and have a charger in the truck that keeps up with us with no problems. We just put up a frame for a 12'x20' billboard and used only the batteries in the 2 drills to do the whole job. I have a DeWalt that has weak batteries.(it's fairly old) I use it at home doing light work where I don't mind changing batteries more often.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Love my DeWalt 18v, (especially the impact for driving screws) batteries run for a long time. I've heard good about Makita, also. HATED my Milwaukee 18v, batteries stopped accepting charge after owning for a short time.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I get all kinds of cool toys issued to me at work and one of them is my Bosch cordless. It has been the best I have used so far.

Why do I need a cordless drill for LE work? There are times we have to take parts off cars to fine hidden numbers and this drill is perfect for the job. We also re-tag vehicles and this is great out in the field. I have had several others but this Bosch is the best so far.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
PM me but do it quick. I have a friend selling an entire Sears 19.2 Volt kit with drill, saw, light, and some other stuff. Some of them are used some are new or almost new. He is getting $125.00 plus shipping. He posts here. I think he has two sets left. He buys BIG quatitys from sears returns etc. Great guy local buddy, not a scammer at all. These kits sell at sears for about 200-225 or so!!

Joe

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
General contractor here and we have Dewalt 18v-good, porter cable 19.2V really good,makita 19.2v really good,hitachi 19.2v really good...but the best,by far is the 19.2v Milwaukee we have. its a keyless chuck,hammer drill as well and it is head and shoulders above anything we have in terms of battery life,strength,toughness of design and its balanced and laid out really well...just my opinion

·
Premium Member
6,614 Posts
Bad thing is that the batteries cost almost as much as a whole new cordless. I have Dewalt also and have no complaints. I think there are alot of good cordless drills out there nowadays.

·
Registered
335 Posts
h.va.c contractor . 18v dewalt i have used the same kit for about 3 years on a daily basis w/ no problems . If you plan on using it on different job site's spring for the car charger .I have not used the original charger for around two years .If you need just a good household one get the 14v dewalt ,we use it quite often around the house .Just remember you really get what you pay for.

·
Registered
335 Posts
battery issue / Every year @ christmas our local lowes has a dual pack offered for $84 .Ask about this in your area.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
I said enough is enough and went and got a new one. To preserve my hundred dollar battery I got another 18v DeWalt. I don't like the new one at all. Only 2 speeds (the dewalt has both a multi-speed gearbox and a variable speed trigger) instead of the 3 the old one had
Jim, because you bought a non XRP model the second time around, the XRP has 3 speeds, better case and suposedly better batteries, they definately are the one to buy.

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
Stationary Emgineer.....18 volt DeWalt we have 2 in the shop and are used everyday...They are about 3 years old and have never missed a beat...:)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts