Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all. looks like i have to wait till the end of the year for my budget to allow a disc brake conversion, but until then, the drums up front will have to stay. they're looking pretty thin and almost dangerous, along with the front hose lines as well. i'm going to have to bite the $200 bullet and get this sorted out, for safety's sake. so the question is: what are the best drum brake shoes out there? any high performance ones? i've heard people say that a good drum setup that is adjusted correctly can rival the performance of discs, but i just don't believe it. i'm just looking for the best i can get until i can spend the big bucks on the discs i really want. btw, it only took about 1k miles to wear my current drums shoes out, so new ones should take me to the end of the year, right?!

·
Super Moderator
32,785 Posts
Ask for the best of Raybestos. If front shoes are worn quickly, the rears aren't working.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have Bendix Titanium Brake Pads and Drums on mine. I have to say that I'm really impressed with them and I think they do a great job.

I concur with Everett.... If your brake drums aren't lasting more than a year, sounds like you have problems with your rear brakes. My master cylinder had a leak in the rear resevoir, disabling my rear brakes and emergency brake until I wound up replacing it. Are you holding your fluid levels? Also, the drum mechanism should be self adjusting (I believe). Are you adjusting your drums too much? You should only adjust them when they are slightly resisting to wear off that initial material and then you should be good to go...

·
Registered
130 Posts
John,
I bought mine from Praise Dyno Brakes and they work great. I ordered the Brake in a Box combo complete set, which comes with new hardware and cylinders. I paid $145 for each set about a year ago. They also sell just the shoes for $94.95 a pair. Here's there website. www.praisedynobrake.com.

Ed

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Praise made w/ Kevlar(??).

And I think Porterfields are like the old, optional metallic one's that we used to buy new from GM. Pricey as are Praise if I remember right..

Heck, I'd put the 2 year, 40,000 mile jobbers on it and go b/c you are sound like you are going to ditch them later after you come up w/ some cash..

pdq67

1 - 6 of 6 Posts