Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it was time to replace my 68 Camaro horns many years ago I went to the junkyard to find a cheap, fun replacement. A buddy told me Cadillac horns have a melodic, distinctive sound.

So I searched the junkyard for the biggest Caddy I could find, the Cadillac Fleetwood was the Cadillac of Cadillacs. So of course thats what I looked for. I found a perfect car, a huge old Fleetwood, and took all three horns, thats right it has a TRIPLE note horn! Sounded very cool until a few months ago when one of the triple note horns died.

So this weekend I was back in the junkyard and thought I'd get a new horn to replace the old Caddy horn. Again I was looking for the biggest Caddy I could find to pull to horn from. But I was disappointed to find that the newer caddy's have quadruple note horns!! And they were difficult to get at. I really didnt want to spend all day taking off the horns and I didnt want to have to find room for 4 horns in the front of the camaro.

So after giving up on Caddy's I walked over to the Euro section of the junkyard just for kicks and I saw a 1989 BMW 750iL, which is of course the Cadillac of BMW's. Someone had already taken the grille off the car...and there were the two BMW horns sitting right there in plain site, smaller, lighter, one bolt each, and super easy to get at. And they are only $5 at the junkyard. So I grabbed em.

I gotta say they sound awesome!! SUPER loud, piercing...and very Euro of course. You really can tell they are made for the autobahn, GET OUT OF MY WAY IM DOING 150MPH!! Anyway, just a suggestion for anyone wanting something different.

Of course the Caddy horns are still awesome if you want to go that route.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Funny you should mention horns, I too wanted somthing a little different. I installed two volkswagon horns on my 68, It sounds goofey, but it fits my personality.
Scott

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
good info, my 68's horns have been sick for quite some time and I've been putting off replacing them. Maybe this will help motivate me, maybe.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
I've been looking for some horns to put on my commuter Toyota. It's sickly beeeeep inspires no warning or fear at all in the rush hour madness here in Dallas. I will have to get some of those.
I would actually like a horn so loud that when I hit it the ammeter gauge takes a noticable dip.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I will be running a second pair of Marine trumpet horns on the other fender. Amp draw is 7 amps. DBA rating 110 at one meter. With a pair of dual trumpet horns should clear the way. LOL:cool:

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Anybody got a link??? My old air horns are sounding lame. I want something that'll clear the stagging lanes.:beers:

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
You guys are wearing out horns? My originals still sound fine when I have the chance to use them. :)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I need to try the WD-40 trick in the screw hole on one of my horns. i over used it in a wedding parade a year ago. Sounds like it has a cold

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Anybody ever heard one of those locomotive horns? Some ******* in a jacked up F250 fired one off in the parking lot of the supermarket one day from fifty feet away and I damn near **** my pants. Alright, I'm being modest..... I did **** myself. They run from $200 all the way up to $1500.

Those Blazer Highway Blaster hi/lo combo horns at the parts store work OK and bolt to the factory locations fine. I've got a set on mine. Supposed to be 132 decibles. Believe it or not, the loudest horn I've got is the stock one on my VTX 1800R....it points straight down maybe eight inches off the ground and if you fire it off for five seconds in the garage your ear will ring for two days. Don't ask me why I did that.

I wanna hear the BMW horn. We've leased a few new ones in the last five years but the horns must not have been the Euro version you picked up.:D

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had Hella german horns on the Camaro for a while, but it sounded european. That might be good on a Corvair, but on a Camaro? I went back to GM baritone horn.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts