Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where is the best location to get an accurate temp reading for my new electrical water meter? The intake manifold or the cylinder head location.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
thermo housing provides easier wire routing and no risk of being burnt by exhaust components. the two location choices offer little temp differences.
good luck
joe c

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
you can put it in the head, the thermo housing or the block. The block location is down near the center just above the oil pan rail. I personally use the head as this is the reading that gives a true reading. The heads are the last to cool and are the hotest part of the system in small blocks, until they changed to the reverse cooling that started with the LT1's that came out in the early 90's. Reverse cooling runs the the water from the radiator to the heads first then the block.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Ditto. The heads will be the first area you'll see the temp rise and they will be the hottest point.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Heads might give you a better idea of what the engine temp. is doing. If you do install it there, think about running the wire below the headers so you don't have to drain the block when you want to work on the exhaust. I did that once, what a PIA! Rhat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts