·
Premium Member
4,793 Posts
Check eBay.

Don

·
Premium Member
12,511 Posts
Are you looking for straight, original date correct, Kelsey Hayes steel rally's or modern reproductions of them?

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Hit your local (large) swap meets... I always see them in our area and can buy them reasonably, sometimes even good codes... :)

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,633 Posts
The 15x8 really need to be 4.5" backspace to fit properly, which Chevrolet never produced. Vette 15x8 are 4"bs, so aftermarket would be the way to go. Can't hardly beat Summit and there free shipping and no hassle returns if needed. Wheel Vintiques are probably the best quality aftermarket RW.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
X2 Summit and Wheel Vintiques.

Reactions: 1968RallySport

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Noticed classic industries has a mixed set with 15x7 and 15x8 with 4.25 backspacing will these fit with no rubbing on a 68 RS ?with stock suspension

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,633 Posts
It depends on tire size of course. Are you sure the 15x8 are 4.25 bs ? I have 215/65 in the front with 7", 4.25" bs and 255/60 on 8", 4.5" bs in the rear with no problem however the rear are close to rubbing the outer ww lip.

I have 15x8 Vette wheels on my 69 and they work fine. When I measured the BS it was 4.5.
Bruce, what's the application code (2 letters) by the valve stem ?

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,633 Posts
What I'm saying is, if I had a 1/4" less bs (4.25") on the rear with the same tires, chances are much greater I'd have a rubbing issue on the wheel well lip.

Have you compared the prices with Summit ? I doubt Classic Industries will be any cheaper, especially with the shipping fees. Plus Summit does offer Wheel Vintique, so at least you know you're getting the best.

BTW, a lot of 67/8 folks use 220/60 in the front. They're just slightly wider and shorter than the 215/65.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Garth, I don't know the application. I bought them from a guy that had a 77 Vette , I got them for a $100 bucks in 78 and been running them on the Vert for all these years, way before I knew anything about the details. 245/60/15 and 225/60/15 BFG RWL. Stock height.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,633 Posts
The next time you have a trim ring off, would you mind looking for the code please ?:D

There was a time I would've luved to have had a pair of factory (hub centric) 15x8, 4.5" bs rally wheels, but come to the conclusion they never did exist. Vettes had 15x8 RW's from '69 until about '75, but all I've ever seen are 4" bs which are AZ coded...

edit; ..and the above post there, Ryan is a typo. I meant 225/60. :eek:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Be careful where you buy the trim rings from. I ordered complete rims/trim rings, and center caps from Classic Industries. All was fine except for the trim rings. The chrome had a bronze tint to it, like the chrome was not thick enough and the copper base was showing through. I complained to Classic Industries about them and they did nothing (made in China)

Vince

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,633 Posts
Once upon a time, I had some of those bronze looking trim rings too ! Ebay specials...:) They're just stainless steel of some sort without any chrome. GM trim rings have bluish tint from flash chrome applied over the stainless.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts