Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought 17"X8 Torq Thrust M's with 4.5 backspace for my 69 Camaro. Discount Tire Direct said 245/45 fronts and 255/40 backs. They don't have a matching set of tires. I want like a Hankook Ventus, Goodrich Fuzion, Falken 452 etc. Something with a different tread pattern but not too radical. Trying to find some reasonably priced with reasonable shipping. May just get local...ANY HELP!! Thanks!

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
The Tire Rack!

And..............

Discount Tire, I think they MIGHT have free shipping??

pdq67

PS., You will have to figure in S&H and maybe taxes(??) as well as mounting, balancing and disposal locally too!

·
Registered
657 Posts
You may want to do a search on this. With only 4.5" front backspace you may want to go a little smaller than a 245/45 tire. If the car is low and depending on what brakes - you may get rubbing on the wheel lip (which could result in cutting into the tire or damaging the fender or both). Also you have 2 different aspect ratio tires listed with the shorter wider tire in the rear (not the way to do it). I would say depending on the ride height a 235/40 front tire and a 255/40 rear tire. If you want to go a little taller in the rear (for a slight raked look) a 255/45 tire. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had my buddies 235/55/16 TT II's on my car and the front rubbed bad, so I am very worried about my 17 and the tire size. I am wanting a wider tire on the rear, but nothing too low profile. Discount tire told me that the 255/45/17 would be too tall on the rear. They recommended the 255/40. I have put a Right Stuff disc brake system on all 4 corners. So I am not sure if they moved the tires out or not. My car is all stock suspension, with new front springs. Should I go with a 235/45/17 on the front and a 245/45/17 on the rear? Not really looking for the raked look, maybe some would be OK , but mainly want a little wider rear tire. Thanks for the help so far. Brian

·
Registered
657 Posts
Several people here are running 255/45-17s in the rear (too tall?) with NO issues. The 235/45-17s in the front should be fine also. I would be more concerned with the fronts than the rears. Would be nice to try something closer that what you had in the front. The 235/45-17 in the front is a proven combo with a 4.75" backspace. You're only a 1/4" off so you should be OK.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Mail order tires semmed like a good deal to me until I figured in shipping and mounting/balancing. I much preferred dealing with a local shop - they allowed me to test fit a few different sizes, and then did the balance job once I was happy with the fit.

If you take in a set of custom wheels and tires purchased elsewhere, most shops will charge top dollar to mount and balance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts