Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have given up on finding a 7708 balancer for my DZ302 motor. The few (very few) that I have located over the past several months LOOK their age and do not inspire a great deal of confidence in their willingness to hold together at high rpms anymore.

Even the "new" replacement GM 7708's are all gone. Ground Up is out. So is everyone else I can find to ask.

That leaves me with one of the GM "MALL" balancers (NOS GM over-the-counter 8 inch racing balancer; part #364709) to maybe use. I already own one and it is perfectly new. Does anyone know of a better choice?

There is one parts supplier who claims to have a source for reproduction 3947708 balancers. He does not know what their appearance is like (original long-arm or later GM replacement). He has not yet sold or ordered one and does not know where they are made (USA or Timbuktu)... They cost $250 and I don't want to be the guinea pig who first tries one and can't return it. $250 seems unbelievably high for a repop! And I have never heard of repop 7708 balancers before.

What advice can anyone offer? (Thank you!)

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Yes, I was going to say rebuild it too!!!

It used to be that it cost as much if not a bit more to rebuild one as to buy a new one, BUT if you can't buy a new/NOS one, then do it...

pdq67

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
PM me I have one I don't need.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello 68zproject, I tried to pm you, but maybe I didn't do it right? My email is [email protected] and phone is 319-626-6809. Thank you. Scott

And I also want to thank secndgn for the links and pdq67 for the advice!

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
is this going to be a 100 point show car resto that will never get driven?
if not, then use the brand new GM balancer you have.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Gotcha Mike,

But I have a stock 454 BB damper that ALMOST has the ring off it and looked into fixing it instead of buying a new one and that's when I found out it's cheaper to buy one than to fix one UNLESS you can't buy one like for off-beat engines you mentioned..

pdq67

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
[quote straight 8 buick[/quote]

What year? I've got a 50 Buick that is being restored. Not a Camaro but a nice car anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts