Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased a 69 convertible project recently. The good news is the body is absolutely mint. The not-so-good news is that there is absolutely no top, interior or trim. When I say no top, I mean no frame, material, mechanics, electrics, hydraulics, boot etc. Nothing. No carpet, no seats, no dash. But the whole project will be worth doing if I do it right.

So..... where should I look for replacement parts? Are the aftermarket ones any good or should I look only at originals?

Similarly with the material tops - are the aftermarket ones like the ones from Classic any good or should I be looking at particular brands of top?

Manual or power? I would like a power top and don't mind the additional cost to get one that works good.

Plastic or glass rear window? Glass sounds better to me. Having owned plastic rear window verts here in SoCal before - I'd prefer a glass one but there must be a down-side, right?

Then there looks like a mix of electrical and hydraulic parts needed - what is the best source of these?

Thanks for any and all advice (I have been scanning through this forum looking at past posts from others for advice) - appreciate advice from anyone having done this before,

G.

·
11,347 Posts
I do not have experience with repros, but original top frames come up on Ebay occasially. Once you learn the trick to identify power vs manual, they can be spotted easily in a pic. Most everything else (except for the lines) might be found used or could be bought new, your preference and based on price. Glass rear windows in a 1st gen are problematic, so I would go with plastic. Luck on the project!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Any other thoughts out there?

(It's been a while but you know how long these projects run....)

G.

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
also keep in mind that you can also find some really really good deals on craigslist!!! Pretty much what Kevin said was spot on. The replacement frames have gone up in the last few years and are over a grand. With a little searching you can find a better deal and original equipment for much much less. When you get a frame and want to restore it make sure to search the threads here for some tips.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts