Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I did a search and came up with one pretty good result but it was from awhile back and I just wanted to check before I pay to have the thing hot tanked...

Can I just soak all the rods, crank and block in lye then in vinegar and water to remove the rust?

It's just surface rust but it's 2 years worth, ALL parts have been inside but they've been sitting inside the garage on the floor...I'm a dummy.

Any easier ways or should I just have it hot tanked or what?

Thanks for any advice,
Donnie

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Big Block.

Thanks so much! That's what I figured but there was just that post where I was reading that the hot tank won't really remove rust so much...

Take care and hot tank it it!

Donnie

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, yeah...it's really just surface rust but I was just worried mainly about the actual crank journals...

We shall see,

Thanks again Big Block,
Donnie

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Don't use vinegar on any polished surfaces. It will etch them. It might be o.k. if you are planning on having the crank turned after dipping, but it would leave the surface rough, especially if you did that to a cast crank. Best to just have the crank polished.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jon,

I wasn't even aware of "crank polishing"....do they not hot tank the crank and instead polish it up or hot tank it then polish it?

Thanks,
Donnie

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Russ,

Oh okay, thanks so much man! I'm gonna try and take the stuff in to the shop this Monday so we'll see how it goes...

DZ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts