Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advise on the best way to strip old paint and clean a disassembled engine. Recommended chemicals, techniques, Do's/Dont's?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I used to work at a truck shop that had a steam cleaner box .It used a chemical plus steam to clean stuff .took off alot of the paint but not all of it . I was told to use e-z off oven cleaner ,it worked good!

------------------
stock? 67
hidden 69

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
Seems like carb cleaner always takes paint off when you don't want it to. It definitley will do a number on the grease. I usually keep some of the cheap $.99 a can stuff handy for the greasey parts. I'd have to agree though that a professional vat job would be the best.

------------------
Robert

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)

[This message has been edited by rojo (edited 06-08-2001).]

·
Registered
46 Posts
Take it to the machine shop. Especially if it has been disassembled for some time. Bugs and other crap loves engine blocks. They think they are a condo or something. Mainly, mostly, and not to mention very importantly, is the oil galleries which is kind of tough to get even with a good pressure washer.

If you have just recently disassembled it and bore taper, cam bearings, etc looks alright. Yeah you can use a good chemical like mineral spirits (cheap), and other asorted cleaners.

But I still recommend taking it to a machine shop. Just call around and ask what they will charge to do it anyhow.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
If it's just to freshen up the outside a bit (with no serious buildup), I like gumout. Brake cleaner works too. BTW Gummout also works on wiring and plastic pieces if you use it sparingly and only put it on a rag and wipe.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
My 350 sat in the driveway for about 11 years before I cleaned it. I used this stuff called "Steam" engine clean, its almost like gunk. It took about 3 cans but I got the block down to bare metal.

justin

·
Registered
389 Posts
How about if you want to repaint the engine w/o taking it apart? (Just removing headers, intake, timing chain cover, ...)

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts