Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 350 motor and trans for $300. It came with a edelbrock intake and carter carb. The trans already have a shift kit in it. The owner said the piston was slapping the head( only on one piston). All the pistons are fitting very snug. He thought the bearing on that piston went bad. What would be the least expensive way to repair it and this will be my first rebuild. I don't want to replace all parts with new parts,just repair the engine. I am on a very strick budget.

·
Registered
73 Posts
go to summit and buy new rod bearings from clevit for about 20 dollars. you might want to make sure that is what's wrong though. Drop the pan and check the rods for excessive "play" and if that's the case change them all. Good luck

Tim

·
3,344 Posts
Terry,
If the piston is indeed hitting the head, you are looking at a crankshaft regrind, or a crank kit, probably a rod, and at least that 1 pison. That would be bare minimum. For the piston to be hitting the head, the rod bearing has to be basically gone, and the crank pretty well killed. Get it apart and have your local machine shop to advise you as to the best way to go. Sometimes it is not worth trying to just patch it...it will come back and bite you and by the time you are done you will have spent more money than just fixing it right the first time.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Terry,
Pass this along to you.
Check that piston slap isn't a cracked piston if the bearings are good.
A friend had a '56 265 that ran like the wind, but it had this tick, slap or whatever in it. One night it let go and gernaded the engine . My friend stopped, looked underneath it and said he saw a fist size hole in the side of the pan. He just got in it and drove the sucker about seven miles home at a rapid pace. The car sat in the sideyard for months.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts