Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than the classifieds here on Team Camaro camaros.net, eBay.com & collectorcartrader.com, does anyone have suggestions as to where to locate & buy a 1st generation Camaro? Please don't say "friends" as unfortunately I don't have any Camaro crazy guys to hang out with (sad, but true). I also tried the local Camaro club, but rarely do I see a 69 listed for sale on their website. Thanks

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Depends on what you are looking for. If you are one of the folks that thinks they can finder a nice driver for under 10k there probably isn't any place to look. If yo want a project and are willing to do some travling. checkout craigslist.org. The big issue is folks are willing to pay big bucks for just about any 69 camaro. Prices are up and deals are getting hard to find. Any thing listed publicly reasonably priced sells fastespecially if it is listed nationally. Your best bet is probably to get to know the folks in the local camaro club. Become friends with them don't just check out there website.

·
Registered
797 Posts
The best deals to be had are NEVER advertised anywhere... What this means is that you will have to get out and do the leg work yourself! You would not believe the number of people who have told me about old Camaros once they knew I had one myself! People that I never would have suspected would even know anything about Camaros regularly start telling me about "this old car in my moms/dad/uncles/brothers yard that has been sitting for years".

One of the first places I would tell you to start asking around at is at your local auto parts places. Just tell the person behind the counter what you are looking for, and ask if they know where one might be... They know their customers that come in and buy parts for the older cars. If they don't know, there will usually be a resident employee that does like the older muscle cars and they will know for sure.

Here is an example: I work at a transmission shop. I regularly order brake cleaner, hand soap, anti-freeze, etc; from the local O'Reilly. The same guy always takes my orders. One day I ordered spark plugs for my '69. He then asks me if it is a customers car.. I say "no, it's mine". He says-man I own a '67 that I am trying to get running, and the delivery guy has a '69 that has been in his family for years that he is working on! 2 years I have been working with this guy, and I never knew he had an interest in Camaros at all.

My point in all of this-ask every person you meet. Chances are a LOT of people will be able to help you. Even if they don't know where a car is to be found, they might know someone that does. Trust me on this. I have stumbled onto many deals accidentally by just asking the right questions.

Another story: A few years back I was at one of the last Competition Sales locations in Houston. I was ordering parts for my then '69 (different one than I have now) and the parts guy starts asking me questions about my car. Wanted to know if I wanted to sell it. I said no. Wanted to know if I wanted to buy any parts for it. I said "sure". He gives me a phone number to a guy. I call this guy, and he has completely stripped a Z28 ('69) for racing, and wants to offer me the FULL INTERIOR (everything!), a factory Cowl induction hood & the air cleaner, ring, & seal that go with it, a set of ralley rims, all of the behind the dash heater parts & heater core for $500!!!! At the time, $500 was quite a chunk of change because the parts were not outrageoulsy expensive like they are now. Plus the interior was BLUE! So, I passed on the parts, but we exchanged numbers in case I knew someone that wanted the parts.. A couple months later, he calls me and asks if I want the car, & everything that he had for sale earlier for $1,200.00. At this point the car had no engine, no transmission & the interior was removed. The rear end had been switched over to a narrowed Ford 9", but still needed axles. Someone had started to install a cage, but did not finish it, and the work that was done was crap to say the least. I told the guy on the phone "SOLD!". I went and picked it up on a trailer that afternoon. It was a true X77 coded Norwood car. Per the trim tag-the car was a factory Hugger Orange car. I don't know where the blue interior came from, or the cowl induction hood (it had blue overspray on the underside of the hood where the insulation was pulling away-but the body was in decent shape. I sold the body to my brother, parted out the 9", and got rid of the cage. My brother returned the car to "semi-stock" by running a 350 & a 4 speed, with a 12 bolt. He sold the car after getting married. He sold it for a measly $5,000 in Miami, FL. in 1997. You think that guy got a deal????

Now, how did I come across that deal? I asked the right person, and waited till the right time.

My current car was very similar. I was looking at a car magazine at work one day. This guy starts telling me that his brother does paint & body work and does quite a bit of work on older cars. I start asking him about his brothers shop.. I had a motorcyle at the time that I needed some painting work done on. Gasoline had destroyed the clear coat around the gas cap. So I call him up and make plans to go and see him. I get to his shop, and right out front is a '69 Camaro that had been painted, but was not reassembled yet. I start looking the car over, and he asks "you like that car?". I say yes, I like it a lot. He jokingly says-you bring me the motorcyle that this gas tank goes to & $1,000-and it is yours!". I went home, loaded up the motorcyle into the back of my pick-up and the deal was done.

Another story: I moved into a new neighborhood when I arrived in Texas. One day I decided I wanted to explore the neighborhood across the street. I get in my Camaro, and drive across the main road into the other subdivision. I go to my 2nd street turn right, go to the end turn left and then arrive right in front of a guys house. Guess what is in the driveway that he is working on? A 1969 Camaro. Something inside me drove me straight to this guys house. It took me all of 3 minutes from the point I left my driveway until I reached his driveway. I get out, we start talking about cars. He is stripping his car for racing and wants to know if I want his power steering set up, power brake booster, and a complete set of front drum brakes. I say sure, and we load them up in the trunk of my car-FOR FREE! My car had no power steering at this time as someone had ripped it out, and I also needed a new vacuum booster as mine was leaking. Needless to say, this guy has a bunch of leads on other cars some of which I end up telling other people about.

Last story: Was dating a girl in Kingwood. Had to travel up 59 to get to her place. One day I see a wrecked '69 parked on a used car lot that has gone out of business. The lot is all fenced up, and there are no other cars there except the '69. I start calling the number to see what they want for the car. It is badged as a Z28, and from what I can tell was a beautiful car before someone hit it hard in the rear. I keep calling the number but no one will call me back. Weeks go by and the car is still sitting there. One evening as I pass the lot, I see another car parked out front. I turn around and go back to the lot and start asking the guy questions. He tells me that he knows the owner and that he has another number for him. I get his name, and the other number. I call the other number, and the guy answers and starts asking me how I got his number, I tell him the guys name, and he immediately starts acting like we are good buddies. He tells me that he wants $2,500 for the car. I say well a little out of my price range as it will take twice that to fix it. He says I have a bunch of other old Camaros here at my familys lot. Why don't you come by and have a look around.... So I get directions and go to this guys "lot". At this lot there are well over 200 1st Generation Camaros!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most of them look like they have just been parked there. A lot were wrecked, but the majority of them were still complete cars! This guy starts telling me that his parents will not sell any of the cars to anyone for any reason. He says lots of people have asked, but they simply will not sell. He tells me that since I am a friend of the family, I can buy any ONE car that I would like. He says it has to be a cash deal, and you will have to make arrangements to get a title for the car yourself. So has anyone else heard about this "lot" of 1st generation Camaros just north of Kingwood off of HWY 59?? I bet somebody knows something about them.. I have always wondered if there was other common knowledge about the hoard of cars.

Sometimes indirectly asking is better than asking out right. Sometimes just knowing someone can be all that you need. Networking is the key to all of this. One more lead for you, try searching local papers for small towns that might be available on the internet, but not necessarily advertised nationally. Know what I mean? You have to look where other people are not looking, and you have to ask the people that don't look like they know anything.. There are plenty of good deals still out there. The only people that you hear complaining are the ones that don't stop to think about all of the resources that are available.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Try dealsonwheels.com. I just checked it and there were 77 69's listed. Don't know how often they update their listings, but there are some nice cars on their site. Good luck

·
Registered
616 Posts
then sometimes the deal knocks on your door......
I am new here but have lurked on and off for awhile. Up until recently I've had 2 '69's in my "hanger" that get occassional sunday drives. I now have 3 because 2 little ol ladies up the street had seen mine go by.
About 6 weeks ago I was watching a sunday football game when a upon my door came a knock knock. These little ladies said their nephew in Warsaw,IN had a car like mine and he wanted to sell it. he was the original owner, it was blue with a white vinyl top, 327, automatic....and that was all they had written on the piece of paper.
I called the nephew and now have the car. no rust, turbo hydro, ALL paperwork and the car has been parked, garaged, and started regularly since 1981. It is a time capsule with everything like it was new.....except that it looks like the highschool shop class did bodywork, sanding and repainting. terrible prep and looked like it was painted in a wood shop full of dust.
transmission leaks a little.....brakes need to be completely gone thru, but with a little coaxing, it started and runs fine. 116,000 miles. it even has brand new bias ply tires (whitewall) on original factory rallys. Interior is a little worn but no tears in seats or original carpet. early car.....(09D)
I've been looking for a convertible but this one fell i my lap. but i'm still tracking a z11 that is in 6254 pieces not 2 miles from me.....life is strange.
sean

·
Registered
47 Posts
Word of mouth is the best bet!!

I haev bought two cars referred to me by my local auto parts store buddy, and a couple off of ebay that I got right when they were listed. There are deals out there you jut got o be first in line to get it!!

I got a pre x-code 69, small block car I got to move. Its a builder though, needs basically all sheetmetal.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I remember when I was in high school the local paper was full of 67 68 69 camaro's for anywhere from $100 buck's up to $2000 grand , this was before I knew how to trade and did not know that you could get a camaro free from someone , I thought you had to have money to get one and you don't , to date I have owned 5 67 68 69 camaro's and have never paid one penny for one , you have to learn how to trade ,

I quit in 99 with my current 67 RS 327 because I could see them getting higher and higher and harder to get , the one downfall to my way of obtaining a camaro is that you have almost no choice in stuff like color engine tranny combe option's , I wanted a 67 RS/SS and when I first got my current 67 I was just going to flip it and keep going toward's a 67 RS/SS but after I had my 67 RS for a week or two and it hit me that this was the best little 67 RS on earth I said that was it I QUIT !! , my car is a FRIGGIN auto but hey if it's free you can't complain ,
I am not getting back into it anymore I did it for year's and year's but with the way it is now with every other TV show about muscle car's every five minute's a commercial come's on with a kid eating a taco and riding a 68 chevelle all the country singer's ride muscle car's brandi ride's a 64 impala movies like gone in 60 seconds have gotten back popular it's just to the point that if you went to 50thousand feet on top of the mountain in tebbett they would be a monk there working on a 56 chevy , I guess the deal's are out there but I don't know ???
also the quality of the car's for sale is in decline like me when someone get's hold of a cherry car they keep it ! and it's no longer on the market , most of what's on ebay although some of it look's good in the picture's is just the remade junk that nobody else want's , good luck !!!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
You might have good luck placeing an ad in your news paper and if you have shopper guide, bargin time place ads with them, if you see an ad we pick up old cars for junk phone them to keep an eye out for you.
River

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I found my last one on the side of the road in a church parking lot, while I was on my way to look at a 70 Ford Torino GT convertible! Needless to say, I never made it to see the Ford! Sometimes, it's all about being in the right place at the right time. Fortunately, the Camaro Gods were looking down on me!!!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
try this www.jakesforgottenpast.com i bought w 70 chevelle a few years back from him..he has a classic car lot and only sells nice rides..i think i remember seeing a few 69's he is in kentucky but deliver for a fair price...when the car u get arrives you can refuse it before it leaves the trailor......very very nice guy and iseasy to deal with..very detailed pics..might give him a try

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
thorpe67RS said:
Dont know if its still available but theres a 69 on Craigslist right now that looks pretty darn good for 8k. Almost seems to good to be true, numbers matching 75k original miles. Pics arent the best but might be worth investigating. Heres the link.
http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/car/124590984.html

Craig I saw it too...but I bet it is a scam... I grew up in the Glen Park area and have never seen it...(its a small area) pictures show it in the snow...and it hasn't snowed here since 1976...lol

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
importkiller69ss said:
try this www.jakesforgottenpast.com i bought w 70 chevelle a few years back from him..he has a classic car lot and only sells nice rides..i think i remember seeing a few 69's he is in kentucky but deliver for a fair price...when the car u get arrives you can refuse it before it leaves the trailor......very very nice guy and iseasy to deal with..very detailed pics..might give him a try
Do a search on this dealer on this website before making any decisions, by the looks of some of the posts about this place, I think his conscious is the primary reason he's trying to forget about his past.........:D:D:D:D

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58509&page=3&highlight=forgotten+past

1 - 17 of 17 Posts