Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a Leaf Spring replacement soon, and was wondering what the best way was to support the rear of the car while doing the job ?

I'll be adding bolt-on SubFrame connectors at the same time too.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
I have used a 4 x 4 across the width of the car just in front of the front of the spring mounts and used jack stands to hold the 4 x 4. I also put a floor jack at all times under the rear. Take the rear tires off and push them under the car too, because if the car comes down its not going to be on your head :) BTW, be sure to spary WD40 on everything a few days before and then the day of removal to make it easier.

Kev

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have used a 4 x 4 across the width of the car just in front of the front of the spring mounts and used jack stands to hold the 4 x 4. I also put a floor jack at all times under the rear. Take the rear tires off and push them under the car too, because if the car comes down its not going to be on your head :) BTW, be sure to spary WD40 on everything a few days before and then the day of removal to make it easier.

Kev
Sounds doable, Thanks Kev :cool:

Yep, already had the thoughts of spraying the WD-40 a few days before. Thanks

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
I used short 2x's like JimH said at both rockers back closer to the rear and also slid my great big L-60/14's under her just in front of that area and on each side close to the driveshaft and then more 2x's on top of them to crib her up so she wouldn't kill me if it by chance ever came down..

REMEMBER work SAFE here b/c you can get KILLED!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and btw, I always left my front tires on the ground b/c it help's tri-angulate(Sp?) her for better balance, imho....

pdq67

·
Premium Member
4,237 Posts
I just did this in my 77 – a few times, don’t ask. All I did was jackstands under the rear framerails in front of the rear, then jack the axle housing up a bit, put jackstands under that. Unbolt rear from springs, then you are free to unbolt the springs. Front wheels sat on some homemade ramps that would support a peterbilt, but raising the front is probably unnecessary just for the rear.

Before I go under a car, I shake it pretty good and if it even thinks of moving I stop & do it again. I leave floor jacks snug in place too (not taking load off stands), just in case. God I miss having a lift. Next

1 - 9 of 9 Posts