Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,308 Posts
That place is the opposite of here. We are here because we all love Camaros, they are there to compalian about products. You happened to hit the page about Dex Cool. I've had it in my truck for it's whole life (11 Yrs)and I can't confirm any problems that can be traced to Dex Cool.
Just my .02 YMMV

Jeff

·
Banned
3,632 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
wow, this is such an old problem

there should be NO problems with dexcool if it is used properly, and with distilled water

my car had dexcool, and it was fine, i maintained the cooling system and used only distilled water.. at about 120k miles i flushed it out and put prestone extended life in (compatible with all colors of coolant)

meanwhile my fathers car had the dexcool get all messed up and black/brown because he would fill the overflow up with hose water, and in turn it ruined his intake gasket.

im not a fan of dexcool, but i wont bash it either because it works flawlessly if the cooling system is maintained properly

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Of the 6 cars I still have only my 98 Grand Prix and possibly my 04 GTO have Dexcool. The GTO sits mostly so I can honestly say I've never even looked at the coolant. But the 98 GP's cooling system was a mess after a few years with Dexcool. I got tired of having it flushed due to all the brown build up every couple years and just switched to the Prestone and have had no issues since.

Hadn't thought about distilled water. That would probably help, but it's a shame it's that critical. All my other cars use tap water and no issues.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Dexcool is supposed to be used with distilled water. That was an error on GM's part thinking that people would actually follow directions. That being said, GM is known for leaky water pumps and intakes.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Ive used dexcool in my 75 stock radiator even with the hose water no problems. Its still orange but who cares nothing hurts chevys.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Dexcool is supposed to be used with distilled water. That was an error on GM's part thinking that people would actually follow directions. That being said, GM is known for leaky water pumps and intakes.
Todd you are right. People aren't going to read instructions for something they've been doing all their lives, especially a simple task like this. Large bold letters across the top of the bottle of Dexcool that say "USE DISTILLED WATER ONLY" would probably have saved everyone, GM included, a lot of grief. But then if I read that on the bottle I'm probably buying the competitors product to save myself the trouble. GM was probably aware of that also.

When the low coolant light comes on and you're on the road you are going to top it up with whatever you can get your hands on. GM engineers should've known better than this.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
all gm cars have had dex for a long time, and most work well. I had one, an 03 malibu, that didn't.

I'm not sure about the distilled water, after all a sealed cooling system should not be using any or needing to be topped off.

One thing for sure dex doesn't like is air.
The system has to be full to the top and pressurized, no air bubbles. In that malibu, even the expansion tank is pressurized. It delveloped a leaky intake gasket, changed it, flushed and filled with orange, no more problems.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I agree with Jim in that a sealed system should not be needing any fluid added. That said the problems with GM plastic air intake plenums is well documented in that they crack due to problems near the EGR take off. The result is often coolant leaks that are hard to put your finger on unless you are aware of the design problems of the GM intakes. That's exactly what we have going on right now with the Grand Prix. After talking with several people who've all had to replace their intake manifolds due cracking I'm pretty sure that's going to be the source of the leak on the Grand Prix.

Luckily Dorman makes a more robust designed intake manifold for the GM 3.8 motor that solves the issues with the heat from the EGR cracking the intake. That's the route I'll be going. Bottom line is as a result we've had to add coolant/water for a while until we found the leak.

·
Premium Member
5,586 Posts
I have a 96 z-71 with a vortec 350, I never saw any kind of sticker anywhere about proper care concerning the coolant system. I added water to the radiator in small amounts over time....then everything started leaking. Intake, quick disconnect POS, radiator, water pump.....a mechanic told me it was due to air getting into the system that started the corrosion process.
We flushed the radiator on the truck and ran a hose through it for 30 minutes and the water never cleared up . It was unreal.

·
Premium Member
5,586 Posts
Oh, and i forgot we replaced the heater core too. I would replace whatever was leaking and within 2 weeks something else would start leaking.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Deb's 96 Burban drinks dexcool. Couple quarts a month easy, and always has. It is filthy brown, always has been even after I did a mega-flush. Now the drivers side radiator header tank is leaking a little and we said heck with it and put some radiator in a can in it. When I met Deb 7 years ago that thing had about 150k on it, and now it has about 300k. I guess if it goes belly up, it won't be entirely from antifreeze issues. Knocks like hell on startup(always has but now it's obscene), I gave it 2 quarts of 40 wt a couple days ago to help ease its pain. Tranny is leaking now too. I've been telling her for 2 years to trade it off. She don't wanna.:)

Damn, I don't wanna put an engine in a Burban. They look like they suck pretty bad to r&r. Oh well.:)

·
Registered
975 Posts
dex isn't the issue, people that continue to drive their cars and trucks in a state of disrepair is the problem. keep the system sealed, flush it every 5 years( who does this??) distilled water may help as some water contains minerals that will accelerate the corrsion process. 3.1/3.4 excluded of course as thier intake gaskets are a known issue.

·
Registered
356 Posts
well at least the floor mats don't get stuck under gas pedal and the oil doesn't fry in v6 engines like toyo and lexus

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I have a 96 z-71 with a vortec 350, I never saw any kind of sticker anywhere about proper care concerning the coolant system. I added water to the radiator in small amounts over time....then everything started leaking. Intake, quick disconnect POS, radiator, water pump.....a mechanic told me it was due to air getting into the system that started the corrosion process.
We flushed the radiator on the truck and ran a hose through it for 30 minutes and the water never cleared up . It was unreal.
Same problems, '97 Z71, started leaking on it's own, back in '01, never added hose water.
From what I hear, the dex cool is some nasty stuff, the intake gaskets are probably gone, but our mechanic tightened the bolts on the vortec heads because there are so few and got loose over time.
almost 208k and still running strong, we just keep an eye on the coolant levels, and replaced the water pump when the gaskets were worn.
The radiator during those years were a joke, the plastic tanks crack over time, and especially over winter, they leak like a siv!
L-31 is a GREAT motor!

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
Dex Cool = Brown Yuck

At least it did in my '02 Impala. It's nice and green now.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
GM settled the first Dexcool class-action suit back in March for $1.2 billion; there are four more still being litigated.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts