Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone reproduce this crossmember,if not what is reasonable price to pay for a used one

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rick's has it in there catalog, but says "call" for price. Have you tried GM, I know they still sell the crossmember for TH4000, maybe 4speed also?

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
I've had 3 of these. I got one out of a Firebird. They used the same one in the 4 speed cars. I also got one out of a big block 4 speed Nova. You might also check some of the Nova clones. Someone took a torch to the original one in my car. I guess the headers didn't clear.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drive Train Parts And Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Cavemate: did the trans mount lineup with the holes in crossmember or did you have to drill different holes?

·
Registered
505 Posts
It has been a while, but no, I don't recall having to drill anyting. In fact I'm nearly positive I didn't redrill. I do think though that the Muncice was a 70 and up fine spline type if that makes any difference I'm not sure.

Gary

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wlliam I am interested send me an E mail on how to contact you Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mr.C & cavemate, usually when the smallblock crossmember will work it is because the engine frame mounts used were also from a smallblock. BB engine frame mounts move the engine about an inch to the passenger side of the car, that is why the BB crossmember is different. All sorts of combinations may work but the General used BB frame mounts with the BB crossmember to avoid all possible conflicts.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have installed BB frame mounts.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
William Thanks for the help Dave

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
You can redrill the SB one. Put everything together and move the trans untill the exhaust fits then redrill crossmember

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Could someone tell me the difference in the crossmembers? I understand the difference in the bigblock motor mounts, but I have put a smallblock motor in my bigblock car before and did not notice any differences in anything.

------------------
SCOTT
69 RS-SS 396 4-SPEED

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Factory frame brackets offset a bb about 1" to the left. This requires a crossmember with the trans mounting holes offset the same amount. The bb manual trans crossmember is almost the same as sb; there are other detail differences but the sb piece can be butched to fit. The T400 crossmember is entirely different and also has the offset mounting holes. I know of two sb/4-speed cars factory-built with a bb crossmember. When replaced with a sb piece, the bracket that mounts the z-bar will be incorrectly located as it was aligned and its holes drilled when the engine/trans were installed in the frame.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Seem to remember the std. crossmember can be adapted by mounting it with the front member holes bolted to the rear frame holes and then drilling new holes for the rear mounting position..think this will work?

------------------

1 - 17 of 17 Posts