Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some input on this. Went for a cruise the other day car had a slight knocking sound (very low) ever since i took it out from winter storage... Pushed it a little around a corner and then my 396 turned into a laundry machine...

What are your thoughts? Broken rod? Rod cap? Crank? Or Bearing?

Here is a video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4qqqCylXS5OZVFlSFExWHN6bmM/edit?usp=sharing

Any help greatly appreciated!!!!

:(

·
Registered
913 Posts
Sounds like a pulley rubbing or balancer rubbing, 4 speed car or auto? Could it be possible clutch pack rubbing or fly wheel??? Just thinking out loud here. From the video, it seems to sound more of something rubbing causing the squeaking then a broken rod or crank issue.

The slight knock does have concern, but the squeaking sounds more external of the engine, the knock (unless smacking where the squeak/rubbing noise is coming from) could be piston smack or lifter issue.

Start simple, pull valve covers and take a look, see if you can isolate squeak to front or rear to see if it's in the tranny or balacer/fan or belt train and go from there.

From the sound of the video, the idle seems fine and does not sound if it's missing on firing order, I would think with a broken rod or crank, it would hiccup on firing, not always, but would think it would not idle that smooth.

Good luck and hope best case scenerio for you.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
First off is the engine running rough?, didn't appear to be, and how is the oil pressure? If you pull the oil fill cap can you hear a difference?

I personally would use a stethoscope to listen at the oil pan, valve cover, bell housing and front of engine accessories to try to narrow it down.

To me it sounds outside of the engine. A few more minutes idling may save you a bunch of time and if it is internal the damage is already done.

Good luck

·
14,083 Posts
Sounds like from outside the motor.

Pull the belts off and run it for a few seconds to see if it alt, water pump or belt related.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the response everyone. This really helps.

No intention of starting the car again. It is an automatic and last summer I had to have the starter rebuilt and re-installed. The cam was changed on the car when I had it re-freshed as well.

It never really seemed to run right. Trailering it over to someone next week to have them dig into the problem.

Trully hope its not a rebuild situation.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Phil, after watching the video again, ya might wanna check the motor mounts, if one was broke, the vibration of the motor could cause the squeak and the knock as the motor shakes in the cradle.

In the video, it does appear the squeak and knock to stay in time with the shake of the motor.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Are your rocker arms the stamped steel factory type or aftermarket. I recall way back when I first got my Camaro, My dad & I overhauled the engine & my cousin donated his hydraulic cam out of his 427. Every once in a while a rocker arm would break & it sounded like the engine had come apart. I always carried an extra rocker arm or two after this happened twice. I agree with the above suggestions to pull the valve covers and inspect your rocker arms. Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts