Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Camshaft question! Has anyone out there used a Comp Cams Magnum Series 280h in a big block chevy. I'm building a 454 for my 67 camaro and plan to use one. It will have headers, about 9.3:1 comp ratio, Edelbrock performer, and a 4 speed. Mostly for street cruising. Let me know what you think. Thanks! :noway:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Yep, had one in a 2-bolt main 454 (.030" over, so actually 461) a few years back. The engine had TRW pistons (I forget the part #), but the advertised static compression was about 10.5:1. The engine used stock "049" oval port iron heads, with headers, hi-rise and 780 Holley.......

Mild choppy idle, no lugging while taking off. Easy to drive. Peaked out at about 5600 rpms. My car is 68 with 3:73 posi and Muncie 4-speed.

IMO your compression is a tad low.

Good luck with the build. Please post results................:)

-

·
Registered
69 Posts
i run one in my 468 right now. 10.5:1, 781 heads, holly 750, ect. overall i like the cam pulls good ,runs out at about 5800 nice old school cam. i agree your compression might be border line, not sure what is recommended for that cam i think it was 10:1

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
One of my favorite cams for a BB. Agree with the boys above. I've run it in no less than three cars. In a 454, she'll come in about 2000 rpm and pull hard to 5500. For the street, it's perfect for a flat-tap. It will also provide enough vacuum for your brakes.

You'd need at least a 3.55 rear (I'm guessing your 4-speed is a wide ratio). A 3:73 would be perfect.

Also agree, this cam would like around 10:1 cr or 10.5 with aluminum heads.

Good luck!

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Imho, you will like CC's old 282S solid lifter cam better here but you will have to lash it every so often.

And I'm a solid lifter cam guy.

pdq67

1 - 5 of 5 Posts