Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've just defected from the chevelles.com site, as I just bought a 68 Camaro. Yahoo! I will be installing a BB in the next couple weeks and was looking for feedback on what the popular dist is. I have the correct motor mounts but it sounds like reg HEI may not fit. I will be running an MSD with external coil but the billet units are obviously pricey, what other options are there ? Also, will the same oil pan from chevelle fit my camaro ?

Thanks very much!:hurray:

·
Registered
278 Posts
I put a 468 out of a chevelle into my 69 camaro and it had an hei distibutor converted over to msd and it fit in my camaro without any problems and I even had a 177 blower on it. I did change it out to a pro billet one from msd later on but just because I wanted to. I didn't have to change the oil pan either...Of course I have sold the 468 and just installed a 502 :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
The HEI distributor that was on the motor had been converted from HEI to msd. Don't ask me how they did it because I don't know. No, I had no firewall clearance issues.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
333 Posts
I have a 68 with a 396big block. I am useing a mallory unilite with a msd box. Have over 1" of clearance to the firewall.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'm using a Pertronix on my 502. No issues. Works for now, but later I'll likely bump up to an MSD.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so it sounds like the small cap HEI (non-unitized coil) are the ones that fit - correct ?

Have a great weekend everyone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts