Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to find a 3909879 LH exhaust manifold for a long time now and have all but given up. When I try to win one on Ebay, seems like some people think they're made out of gold instead of iron! I have the 3916178 RH. I'm about ready to buy a set of the reproductions from Ricks. What do you guys think about these repops? Do they fit right, how close is the appearance to the originals? Do they have a cracking problem? Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
The repros fit fine, and look like all the originals I have seen, but I have never laid the two side by side. Mine have been on for more than 600 miles. I bought them because I was having the same trouble finding originals, and did not want the hassle of shelling out a bunch of cash to find out that I bought one that was warped or had another issue.

My guess is the only way to know the repros from the originals is the casting date (all repros have the same date, I can't remember off the top of my head what it is though), and maybe if you put repros that are not drilled for smog on a car that would have had smog equipment.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
My advise is to shop around Rick's prices seem to have gone up tremendously since Eckler's bought them.

Rick's is $339 (which is not too bad.)

NPD is $379 !

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
I have been trying to find a 3909879 LH exhaust manifold for a long time now and have all but given up.
How critical is the OE look?

I've got a LH PN 3989343 I can part with.
PM me if you want a quick photo.

Heres an old thread:
In 1967 it changed to casting number 3909879 and was used in 1967 - 69 Camaros, Novas, Chevelles with 396 and 427 engines including the COPO and ZL1.
3909879 casting number was carried over to 1970 and used in Camaros, Chevelles, Monte Carlos and Novas with 402 and 454 engines. It looks very similar to the 1971 and 72 402 and 454 exh manifold, casting number 3989343 and 1973-75 Passenger and Chevelle 454 manifold, casting number 329225.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
I am comparing my LH manifold to the Ground Up catalog shot and I am not seeing anything different. my casting numbers are on the block side of the manifold, not as shown above.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts