Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, in the process of getting rid of a hacked up firewall where someone before me added AC.. I'm going with a big block heater core setup (non AC) and have since welded patch panels in the firewall and am now ready to cut new holes. Does anyone have a good picture of a big block non ac firewall that isn't all buggered...
I've seen a bunch of pics, but all seem to be smallblock or AC cars. Any picture with a tape measure and a few reference points would be awesome!! A template would be WAY KILLER!!

thanks

John

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I lay the heater cover on the firewall there is a gap, (facing the firewall it's on the right) where the smallblock heater tubes go. Since i filled the entire hole, i need to know what to cut out, I'm affraid that if i do not remomve enough material, I wont have a cold air function...

Thanks for the replies so far..

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
John,
I'm a little confused as to waht you are trying to accomplish. Just let me say that there is no difference between s/b and a b/b firewall. The holes are the same. Where the heater core tubes come out on a small black are sealed with a gasket that covers both holes. I have my firewall apart right now so if you need measurements let me know.

·
Registered
136 Posts
CPODEEP. there is a difference between a air car and non air car firewall. That big ole AC box has a much bigger hole in the firewall for the AC vent.
68ragtop.
We just went from a 69 AC car to non AC. If you take the non AC cover and fit to the firewall matching some of the original 1/4x 20 studs you will find where it goes. Match the fan hole up as best you can and then pencil all the way around the heater box to give you an idea of where you need to cut.
Hope this helps.

RandyB..
67chevelle 468 prostreet
68 camaro 454 4spd. Soon to start on resto.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
Randy,
I agree there is a difference between A/C and non A/C. The original posting said that he had already replaced the firewall sheetmetal and was trying to figure out where to cut for the heater core.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I was not sure about the small to big setup... A gasket is all that covers the holes in the firewall left by the big block location???

I think I know where to cut, I'm gonna use a firewall insulation mat as a template...

I'm just gonna not cut where the heatercore tubes would penetrate the firewall for a smallblock,

Thanks All

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.