Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a set of headers for a 396. I was wondering what type of headers you are using and what issues if any you are having.

Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hooker super comps. They hang pretty low on a pro-touring car, but they sure look pretty. :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
I put a set of Flowtech ceramic coated on my 67 396. I didn't have any issues. They are a tight fit. The price was right for them through Summit.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I have 2" primary Hooker Comps on my 68 as well. They fit pretty good but do scrape from time to time over speed bumps.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
If you plan on driving your car on the street I advise you to stick with Hooker or Headman 2" Competition Headers. They fit very good. They have the Ground Clearance and no Interference Issues. They cost a fraction of the Super Comps and you can always send them to Jet Hot if you want them coated. I've been running my full Length 2" Competition Hookers for over 20 years on the street. I take them off occasionally to Blast and Paint them with POR's 15 Hi-Heat. Unless you spend all your time at the track, forget about the Super Comps. All it takes is one speed Bump and there goes $600.00

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
A 2" header on a 396" street motor is about a 2 tube size error.

·
Registered
309 Posts
A 2" header on a 396" street motor is about a 2 tube size error.
Wouldn't the size of primary tubes be determined by what the engine has in it?
2'' Super Comps on a 454 w/Dart Pro 1 heads and power steering. REEEEAL TIGHT FIT. But no dings or bends.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Wouldn't the size of primary tubes be determined by what the engine has in it?
Certainly. If he's making 2hp/ci you might consider the 2" primaries.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
This is a pretty good article on how to choose your exhaust system:

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/hardcore/0505em_exh/index.html

What size primaries you should be using really depends on your cam and your heads.

This chart applies to normally aspirated engines. For street headers, where low-speed torque is of prime importance (especially with a stock converter and high rear end gears), use the lower line to select the appropriate primary size. For hot street machines having reasonably big cams and decent compression, use the middle line to size the primary. For race engines, use the top line. If nitrous is involved, check out the nitrous header section.
I have a cam with enough lift and heads that flow really well (340cfm), so I went with the 2" primaries, you can go a little bit over kill on the exhaust on big blocks since exhaust breathing is a weakness (I probably could have gone even bigger but I was concerned with fitment as well plus I like low end torque too) . But you can't go too much if your heads and cam can't take advantage of it.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a set of Hooker Comp. headers on my 69 with 2" primaries and they fit great. I also have NO power steering. I went with the 2" primaries because it's a blueprinted L-88. (12.5:1 compression, factory L-88 solid cam) Whatever you do stay away from the Hedman 2" primaries. They are made wrong. I sent back 3 sets, the collectors all slammed into the sub-frame and I couldn't even bolt them to the head. Hookers fit like a glove.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
This is a pretty good article on how to choose your exhaust system:

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/hardcore/0505em_exh/index.html

What size primaries you should be using really depends on your cam and your heads.

I have a cam with enough lift and heads that flow really well (340cfm), so I went with the 2" primaries, you can go a little bit over kill on the exhaust on big blocks since exhaust breathing is a weakness (I probably could have gone even bigger but I was concerned with fitment as well plus I like low end torque too) . But you can't go too much if your heads and cam can't take advantage of it.
I believe Vizard's chart applies to exhaust flow. The Brodix RR-O's flow 236 cfm @ .700" lift, making a 1-7/8" or 1-3/4" header a more viable option.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Misc pics of my 69 Camao COPO clone. One power steering bolt had to be ground flat (on one side for clearance)

I have removed the repop chambered system. I am STILL seeking advice on either buying/installing the PYPES transverse/cross flow 2 1/2" system OR the Magnaflow Crossflow system
VERY concerned about tailpipe appearance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts