Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a factory 69 Z/28 RS to expensive to put 302 back in. So going to stick a 454 in it ? do the big block motor mounts bolt into the same holes in the frame as the small block mounts if not what do I need to do. Thanks

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Buy the correct frame and motor mounts. The big block engine is offset. I believe you will want to change your transmission crossmember too. It may bolt right in as it is, but be prepared for many future problems.

------------------
69 Camaro Z28 "clone" - 327 AT
"461" camel back heads,
edelbrock , hooker, ultradyne cam, stewart,
TRW etc.
Vintage Air (not yet installed)
700R4 TPI transmission

·
Registered
89 Posts
just get the mounts for a bb.you can get them from ricks,you might have to drill 2 new holes for the cross member to bolt up.you should change the coil springs to a bb set.i did the same thing last winter puting a 509 in.no big deal.good luck jeff

------------------
69z 509 merlin 600 hp/620 torque pro street

·
Registered
292 Posts
Please take these guys advice....

I wish I had been a Team Camaro member when I did my BB conversion. I did it with the small block mounts and its caused many a problem.

No drive train mods my way (wrong way) but I wish it was right.

One day I'll make it right.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by twosxe1:
Hi I have a factory 69 Z/28 RS to expensive to put 302 back in. So going to stick a 454 in it ? do the big block motor mounts bolt into the same holes in the frame as the small block mounts if not what do I need to do. Thanks <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks this info cleared up my problem

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Going big block is not your only option. If budget is a big issue go with the biggest small block you can afford and dress it up as a 302. I know of a certain black Z28 RS done this way and it is a very cool car
By the the time you spend the money on the BBC to get all the required things to fit you can build a decent SBC. Of course this is just my opinion, do what you wanna do to be happy
BBCs are cool

What are you going to do about your heater core pipes?

------------------
Jeff
69 SSRS 396(roller 427 :D )
My Chevs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts