Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '68 camaro with a big block. I am running headers and am having problems with my starter/solenoid when the car is warm(as in they don't work til the car is cool). This I know is a very commen problem but does anyone have a sure fire fix for it? Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Are you sure your timing is not set too far in advance?

If timing is ok, I think there are heat shields available that could help?

Kel

------------------
North Texas Camaro Club

Is the glass half empty or half full???.....Neither, the glass is twice as large as it needs to be!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have a 69 Camaro and a Big Blk. I added a remote (Ford) solinoid. This solved my hot starter problem.

Matt

·
Registered
980 Posts
I don't have a big block, but I had the hot start blues too. I got a mini starter, and my problems were solved. Make sure your battery cables are in good shape too.

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner

[This message has been edited by Spames (edited 04-22-2002).]

·
Registered
925 Posts
The cheapest way and best is to get the accel remote solenoid, which is basically designed after the ford solenoid, then buy some new battery cables, at the store near my house the accel solenoid by itself is only 15 bucks. You run the battery cable from the battery to one side of the solenoid, then run another cable from the solenoid to the big post on the starter. THen run a little wire from the big post on the starter to the S on the starter, take the (should be) purple wire that was on the starter S and run it to one of the little posts on the solenoid. this way when you crank the engine the starte only gets juice when the purple wire is powered from your ignition it tells the solenoid to turn on and the solenoid lets the power to through it to the starter, It never fails, that solenoid on the starter gets really hot and doesn't work, you mount the accel one on your fender or whever so it is away from all the heat, oh yeah you have to ground the solenoid to metal when you mount it. Me and all my friends use them, way cheaper and works great!

------------------
http://hometown.aol.com/autumnnatalie/index.html

·
Registered
403 Posts
i have a '67 with 427,hooker headers
and a 875 cca battery,i put in a new{rebuilt} starter, new cables,and an HEI
i added a wire from,the fuze panel,to the HEI,that is Hot only when key is turned to
"run/start" starts easy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your suggestions. I think I am going to give the remote solenoid mount a try as I have already tried a heat shield and timing and battery cables are good

1 - 8 of 8 Posts