Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have another question for you guys. I have a set of big block valve covers, but they are not chrome. The SS 396 had chrome covers. Can I, should I, have the covers that I have Chromed or are they different from original BB chrome covers. Just did not want to spend $500 or more on epay for a set of original chrome covers that will mostlikely not be in that great of condition. Thanks in advance.

Doug

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
How correct do you want them to be? The 69 chrome covers have the wire loom tabs in certain positions, have drippers, and have a little nubbin sticking out at the back of the driver side. You can do an advanced search here with user name "unreal"; I think he's posted photos of original ones.

The mid-grade repros ($119 or so) are decent but not 100% correct. I didn't need 100% correct, so they are fine for me.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
The pictures I have of mine aren't too good (taken in dark garage), but now that it can leave the garage under power I will try to get better ones and post up so folks can see how they look.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I bought a set of repop cover off ebay for $20. I can't remember who they are from. They have the wire loom stands but no dripper. They also have the small "notches" for the gasket nubs. The chrome is good, but not show quality, but pretty close to a factory chrome job. The biggest thing is that they don't have the small weld marks from the drippers since they don't have them. The stock covers have marks from where the dripper were welded on since the covers were chromed before the dripper got welded on. When I compared my cheap covers to my uncles factory covers from his Corvette, besides the dripper marks, you can't tell a difference on an assebled engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts