Needing advise on which one's to use with roller rocker would like it to
look stock but afraid if its to high it will hit brake booster Thanks

·
Registered
323 Posts
Tonyx33 said:
Needing advise on which one's to use with roller rocker would like it to
look stock but afraid if its to high it will hit brake booster Thanks
Have an original LS-5 (454-oval ports) with stock G.M. "low" chrome valve covers ready for testing. The Comp Cams "Pro-Magnums" #1320-16 will fit with the factory low covers. Actually what we've learned here is most Roller-Rockers actually will clear the covers, the problem comes from the height of the "Poly-Locks" on the (8) exhaust rockers only. We are presently talking to a local machine shop about having a large number of them (the Poly-Locks) machined down about .070" along with the exhaust studs. This will make the fit perfect. The new "FAST" class of racing is opening some new doors for us. We hope to see 550/600HP from this particular 100% stock appearing unit, from a Q-jet to the stock exhaust manifolds. The unit will be tested as it will be in the vehicle. Thanks, Gary in N.Y.
P.S. I've gotten a number of calls already due to the fact we've done many
"OEM" appearing units with some attractive H.P. numbers. We're well over 400 HP on SB's with the original "Fuelies", stock intake, exh. manifolds and pump-gas.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I am using full roller setup, lifters and rockers (Crane Gold). I also use the standard poly-locks to hold the rockers in place.

Best part is: I use stock chrome valve covers. I simply added an extra thick valve cover gasket to the stock gasket. I glue two brand-new gaskets together, then I use 14 longer hold-down bolts. Been doing it this way for years with no leaks at all, and I have been able to re-use same gaskets. I always put a little grease on the mounting surface of the gaskets to help prevent sticking to the head.

This way your engine compartment still looks stock, even though you got the high-tech goodies in there.

I am using cams with less than .600 lift, so I suppose higher lift cams may require some checking first.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Chevy-SS said:
I am using full roller setup, lifters and rockers (Crane Gold). I also use the standard poly-locks to hold the rockers in place.

Best part is: I use stock chrome valve covers. I simply added an extra thick valve cover gasket to the stock gasket. I glue two brand-new gaskets together, then I use 14 longer hold-down bolts. Been doing it this way for years with no leaks at all, and I have been able to re-use same gaskets. I always put a little grease on the mounting surface of the gaskets to help prevent sticking to the head.

This way your engine compartment still looks stock, even though you got the high-tech goodies in there.

I am using cams with less than .600 lift, so I suppose higher lift cams may require some checking first.
Won't "fly" on a 100 point showcar, and this is some of the rules we need to straighten out for the "FAST" class, whether a "double-thick" gasket is acceptible. Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
GOSFAST said:
Won't "fly" on a 100 point showcar, and this is some of the rules we need to straighten out for the "FAST" class, whether a "double-thick" gasket is acceptible. Thanks, Gary in N.Y.
LOL, I agree, but how many of us really drive around "100 point showcars". Not many, is my guess. Most cars nowadays are "restified" in some way, shape or manner.

Anyway, double gaskets and stock valve covers looks a whole lot better than using ugly, tall aftermarket valve covers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts