Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody have any experience with backing up a big block with a ten bolt 8.5 rear end? i currently have the above mentioned rear end and am planning on transplanting a 454 in my camaro. i intend to rebuild the diff and have a posi installed and something around 3.73 gears. I have heard both sides, some say the ten bolt won't last a week others tell me that it would be strong enough for all the power i can build (until I get near 800 ft/lbs). Just looking for some opinions on the matter. thanks

josh

·
Registered
297 Posts
Josh, I've known several people with very healthy engines 400+ hp that ran 8.5 10-bolts with no problems. The 8.2 10-bolt is another story, they will not hold up. There is a story in Feb. Chevy Performance I read last night about this rearend. It goes into alot of detail. Just my opinion. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ive done it before, but never ran slicks with it (no traction)..if you plan on hooking the car up I would go with a 12 bolt or 9", but for the street the 8.5 will work.

------------------
66/70 chevelle ss396's
69/71 camaros

·
Registered
87 Posts

When everything´s said and done bro..
Look here;
http://home.swipnet.se/mechanixracing
We STILL run a 10 bolt.
However,we also feel we´ve reached the limit now(new motor).
Best ET with the car in Q is 9,92 secs with a 60 of 1,39.
You make the call.

------------------
DVC-98.Racing
470 cubes of fogger injected thunder in a 71 z.
[email protected]

·
Registered
87 Posts
Btw.Vehicle weight is approx 3600 punds(1630 kg)

------------------
DVC-98.Racing
470 cubes of fogger injected thunder in a 71 z.
[email protected]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all your replies. I had planned on putting a nine bolt in the back but i think with my budget i am going to just rebuilt the 10 bolt it is a 8.5 so i hope it will last a while.

josh

Nice '71 by the way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts