Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have minitubs and a quadralink with a notched Tanks Inc tank. I am running 3" back to the mufflers. When at home with the car up on stands it seemed to me that I had no chance of getting 3" over the rear on the drivers side. The panhard bar fouls that up nicely. Now that I have the car on a lift I still don't think I can get 3" on the drivers side but I can get a 2-1/2" pretzel in there. But when eyeballing it with the car up and the suspension dangling I realized that the tailpipe, either size, could reasonably pass under the rear and track up to either behind the wheels or all the way back. Have any of you run pipes under the rear? Any ugly surprises?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,526 Posts
My car is mini tubbed with leaf springs and Caltrac bars. I ran 3" exhaust over the rear before mini tubbing. The tailpipes exited just behind the tire on each side. Since mini tubbing, the rear end needs to come down to get the 29X14.5 tires out. So the exhaust ends right before the rearend housing and is aimed under it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
3" up and out the back with a quadralink is a tough mission although it can be done and I went through the exercise once myself. Lots of tight and precise bends to snake it out there. Seen plenty of tailpipes run under the diff... also removed many that got severely damaged as a result. I personally wouldn't do it that way. Consider as well, should your car be going on a hoist/should you need to raise the car and support via the body, the diff is going to come down and could end up resting on your tailpipes and limiting travel. Having to remove your tailpipes every time you do this isn't ideal.

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro LS3 TH400 Moser 9” DSE mini tubs
791 Posts
Hand Gesture Finger Thumb Gas

Cut a bunch of these, and a fair amount of patience many tack welds and you can get there…. Mandrel bent is very nice, but very expensive if you don’t have access to a bender. It helps to make notes if your trying to stay symmetrical.
I think these are about 7.5 degrees so 3 of them gets you about 45 degrees. ( each joint is 15 degrees included angle) or I think that’s how it works out.
It’s a simple process or I couldn’t do it 😁

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I wouldnt have it on a lift with the rear dangling I would have never thought of this. 3" kisses. 2-1/2 would clear. a round to oval section would clear even better. I dont know if I can make 3" work even with segments like WOW has a pic of but 2-1/2 will go. I may have to try that. I could get a 3 over the pass side but missing the panhard's travel on the drivers side is a pain.

·
Premium Member
68 SS/RS, 460 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
683 Posts
Im following here. I have a 68, dropped 2" and non-tubbed running 2-1/2" over diff and exiting between the tires and the splash pan. I like the termination point because you cant see any exhaust pipes. I have been seriously considering doing a 4 link rear and front coil overs. Is what you guys are saying is if I go 4 link theres fitment issues with exhaust and removing rear wheels? I dont want to terminate in front of diff or run underneath it.

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The passenger side pipe on that holley setup looks good. The driver's side is a non starter.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,839 Posts
As Michael (WOW) noted, you can build almost anything if you have the right tools/parts. Its too bad the biggest size they come in is 2", but you could model that pretzel with these and leave enough space around them to account for the 2-1/2" or 3" pipe. My buddy builds custom turbo setups and he does it by cutting up mandrel bends into all kinds of weird sections. When he's done it looks pretty impressive.

Blue Azure Orange Font Line

Blue Font Electric blue Plastic Recreation

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Engineering Gas

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Food for thought. Several years ago, I mocked up a tail pipe for my 69 out of pieces of bends and scraps that I had and welded them all together. It was a hideous Frankenstein piece of pipe, but it fit perfectly and exited exactly the way that I wanted. I shipped my "prototype" to Heartthrob Exhaust. They scanned it and CNC mandrel bent me a one piece tail pipe that perfectly mirrored what I sent them. They then reversed the angles and bent me a matching one for the other side. Both fit perfectly and were exactly what I wanted. You can use anything to build your mock up out of any diameter material, and they will bend it out of whatever type and diameter pipe that you need. Here is their info:
Contact Us
Hours: 8am - 5pm , Mon-Fri

Heartthrob Exhaust Inc.
60819 U.S. Hwy. 12 West
Litchfield, MN 55355
P: 320-693-0222
F: 320-693-8964

Email us at:
mike
or
jeremy
@heartthrobexhaust.com

·
Premium Member
68 SS/RS, 460 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
683 Posts
Cool, but I could imagine it was very costly? Or not because you did the engineering?

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Cool, but I could imagine it was very costly? Or not because you did the engineering?
It cost me around $300 with the shipping about 7 years ago. Factor in inflation, and it is most likely more expensive. The fact that they fit, they were exactly what I wanted, and one single piece of mandrel bent pipe, was well worth the cost for me.

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro LS3 TH400 Moser 9” DSE mini tubs
791 Posts
It cost me around $300 with the shipping about 7 years ago. Factor in inflation, and it is most likely more expensive. The fact that they fit, they were exactly what I wanted, and one single piece of mandrel bent pipe, was well worth the cost for me.
I really like the idea of mandrel bent tubing.
It would be impressive if done in 304 SS and polished
But you can bet …It will be like the monkey peeing in a cash register…..this is gonna run into some money 💰 💰💰

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
My buddy on youtube just did a video of this 3" exhaust cutout install. DSE makes the gussets for the trunk. Search for Paradise Bay Customs on you tube. Shows how he is doing the same thing as the OP.

Scot

·
Registered
204 Posts

Not if referring to the peak HP. It can affect low and potentially mid-range. And not because of back-pressure, but velocity and scavenging. Keep in mind this was a 600+hp 454 without any kind of crossover, and the difference was 13hp @ peak. On a smaller engine the 2.5" exhaust would likely outpace the 3" to a higher rpm, before the 3" takes over (and even higher with some kind of balance tube).

This is why some people run 3" from header to muffler exit, and then 2.5" tails from the muffler. Keeps the velocity up to build more low end, with minimal effect on peak hp. Also slightly quieter, less tendency to drone, deeper tone, easier to package, makes your tires look bigger :ROFLMAO:, etc.

·
16,402 Posts
??? Why do you think you need 3" exhaust out the back on a street car? Run 2 1/2" with a X pipe. IMO not gonna notice any diff in performance.

Reactions: FbodyMike
1 - 20 of 24 Posts