Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, here's the deal... i need to find the biggest speaker you can cram into a 1968 camaro kick panel.

All the speakers i am finding do not have covers, and the way it sits now its hideous!!!

HELP!

And dont say to buy those new kick panels with the speakers in them... i've seen those and i'd prefer not to have them.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Unless you want something surface mounted 4" by 6" OEM shallow cone speaker with little tiny 10W or so magnets is about all you can get flush mounted in the kick panel. There is only a very small cutout in the structure of the car behind the kick panel and it won't fit a very big speaker magnet.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
If you don't mind losing your vent, there's another post running in interiors, a guy "tokala" had a custom pro job done, they put some reasonable size speakers in the vent tube. He was gonna pul a kick panel anmd post some pics, but I haven't seen them show up yet.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Didn't get time to pull the kick panel this weekend. Hopefully this week. In the other thread I posted that I have 6" speakers in the kick panel, but the vent has been eliminated/sealed and is none functional (although it appears as stock). There's a picture on my webshots page showing the kick panel. When I get the kcik panel pulled I'll post pictures of the back side of the kick panel and the body of the car in that area.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Max- Speaker size doesn't really have as much impact on sound quality as it used to. If you are going with a sub, then it has no impact at all. I prefer the stealth look in stereos. IMO Big speakers sticking out of the kick panels looks crappy. Go small and use a sub and you'll be real happy.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Hmmm. ... that might depend on how small. I'm using the dash speakers described above, along with some 6x9's and a sub. When the breaker blows on the amp for the 6x9's, there's not a lot left.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I don't know how similiar the kick panels and the area behind it are compared to the 74 Nova I'm working on but below are some shots of the backside of a kick panel I had in at one time and you can see the speed clips that clip onto the edge of the opening and when the screws are tightened to hold the speaker in these will pull the plastic kick panel up tight against the backside. If it doesn't pull it up tight all the way around then additional clips could be used or some type of back-up ring could be made and used.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/91680967/105653283hPWyLC

The below shot shows the metal behind the kick panel. On my car the hinges are welded on and the cars with bolt on hinges the depth will be less but the bolt lengths could be shortened if needed to increase the depth some more.
In the opening on my 74 I was able to get in a 5.25" speaker but ended up bending some of the metal in the rectangular opening to clear the speakers frame.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/91548112/97403289HOuNrW

Tokala, Very nice idea of putting the speakers behind the vent. Get some pictures up.

Jim

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
The Rockford 4" speakers have covers (grills) as do the Pioneer 4", 5", 5.25".
What speakers have you been looking at that don't have grills ?.
Some speakers do not come with grills but those are mostly limited to 5x7's, 6x8's, and 3.5".
Even if they don't come with grills a company I deal with (Aamp Of America) make 2 piece steel mesh grills for 4" to 12" speakers (and they are a fine mesh not like what is normally on subwoofers).
The hardest part I had was lining up the hole in the kick panel plastic to meet up with the opening in the steel. You can start out with a smaller 3" hole and then slowly enlarge it to the size you need.
Jim

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by SOA-Nova:
The Rockford 4" speakers have covers (grills) as do the Pioneer 4", 5", 5.25".
What speakers have you been looking at that don't have grills ?.
Some speakers do not come with grills but those are mostly limited to 5x7's, 6x8's, and 3.5".
Even if they don't come with grills a company I deal with (Aamp Of America) make 2 piece steel mesh grills for 4" to 12" speakers (and they are a fine mesh not like what is normally on subwoofers).
The hardest part I had was lining up the hole in the kick panel plastic to meet up with the opening in the steel. You can start out with a smaller 3" hole and then slowly enlarge it to the size you need.
Jim
I had 3" infinities in there and i blew one up... oops! the 3" dont have covers... but i've noticed a few of the 4" do... thats why i was wondering if a 4" would fit

I wanted something bigger.

·
Registered
284 Posts
OK.
I got pictures of the speakers and kick panel on the driver’s side of my car. The first picture is the kick panel and how it looks installed.
Installed kick panel
This is the front side of the kick panel when it’s removed from the car.
Front side of kick panel
This is the back side of the kick panel. Notice that the cables have been cutoff that open/close the vent. I’m not sure if any other alterations have been done. You’d have to compare the picture to stock ones.
Back side of kick panel
These two pictures are of the speaker and where it’s installed. It’s a 6” speaker. There is a molded fiberglass cover that fills and is sealed in the oval space that would normally be the vent. This is sealed to the body of the car with heavy-duty silicone (white stuff in the picture). The fiberglass pod is pretty much glued to the car now. This keeps water from getting inside the car and still allows it to drain.
Speaker
Speaker
I hope that this helps. If anyone has questions or wants me to try and get some more/better pictures, let me know.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Good timing for this topic. I guess you did this so you wouldn't have to cut you panels and maintain that stock appearance. I always thought that 5.25" would fit in the opening closer to the door. This is where I intend to cut. Do they fit surface mount on the kickpanel?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yes, I wanted a stock appearance. When you look at the picture of the kick panel in the car you would never know that there was a 6" speaker behind the "vent" opening. I guess that the backs are chopped up pretty good, but who looks at the backs? Check the picture of the speakers in my door panels and you'll see that I didn't want the speakers to obvious to any casual observer.

I'd think that you could get a 5-1/4" speaker in the opening next to the e-brake pedal. Of course, you'd have to cut the kick panel to mount the speaker. I suppose that if you mounted the speaker behind the kick panel that you could cut an opening and mount the speaker grille on the front side of the kick panel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts