Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted several tim,e about my seat tracks being wrong were the seat dosn't move back far enough.

well about 3 o'clock this morning I think I figured out why it has nothing to do with the tracks .
when I had the floors redone I bet the seat supports were welded in backward or something,maybe just to far forward,the guy had the car for 6monthes and then I picked it up and took it right to the body shop it was there for another 6 monthes so I didn't make the connection right off.

is there a way of checking the location of the seat supports ????

isn't it funny how things pop into your head at the oddest times,
my wife says she can always tell when Iam thinking about cars/racing cause that is when I get excited

am I sick or what ,she always want to talk afterwards so I just prefer to talk cars! :D :D :D

·
Registered
955 Posts
The seat supports can only be located in one position in the first gen f-bodies. The seat support has to be welded in so that the cage nut is in the proper position to re-install the subframe bushing and bolt. You really can move the support unless you do something else with the cage nut. Just welding it to the floor pan is not enough. The stock location utilizes three layers of sheetmetal that are all interlocked with spot welds to create the support platform which provides some rigidity to the car floor.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I thought I figured it out!

can anyone give me the measurement from the steering wheel to the front of the seatback with the seat in "all the way back" position.
I still think my seasts are to close to the steering wheel I am really cruched up when driving or getting in and out :mad:
:mad:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I THINK I KNOW YOUR PROBLEM, Fastorange!! Did you ever remove, or loosen the steering column? There is a wedge that looks like a piece of cheeze under the front-most column support nut. If this piece is missing, the steering wheel will drop a good 4".

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Speaking of steering column support.... I had to shim about 1/8" between the bracket and the stop on the support rod. The "piece of cheese" wedge was in place, but my column was still interfering with the instrument housing, to the point that the rotating part got a couple of scratches. Now I have to touch it up!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought that shim would make it lower,I'll check it cause I did have the column out when the rag joint broke :eek: last year.
the way I remember it being is two studs hanging down that nut go on if you put a shim in won't make it lower ???

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
No, Fastorange. There are 3 studs sticking down. The two front ones are the pivot points, so adding the cheeze to the third one (closes to the front of the car) will RAISE the steering wheel.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
O.K. I got 32.5" from high beam to top of front seat I knew I didn't loose my mind !,I lost 5" somewhere!
I wonder if the seat sopprts could have been flipped from side to side !
man is this driving me nutzzzz!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no french fries believe me I've had these thing off and on and turned every which way tring to get some leg room.I am 6'1" so it's tight.
I think I need to pull the (glued down)carpet out and take somemeasure on the floor.
it's gotta be something with seat supports.

thanks for asking!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Does the passenger seat move back further than the drivers seat?

There was a dealer modification available to move the seat FORWARD. Might be that this was done to your seat at one time. Has it always been too close?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
when I first got the car the seat was fine I could actually move it to far back,but I didn't drive the car for almost a year .then it was to close,maybe I grew.
Iam going to run a straight edge across the front mounting bolt to the sill and then measure from the door jamb this should verify weather the support are correctly plased or not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts