Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Getting on the freeway tonight I noticed when I nailed the gas pedal,
Black smoke at a high rpm was blinding the driver behind me....Its a 95 Firebird, MPFI with 60,000 miles.
It's the wifes car, could it be carbon build up from her "not opening it up too often"? How can this be fixed?
Thanks!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No light at at all, I changed the plugs and air filter about 3-4 months ago and the car runs smooth.
I was thinking that the fuel Injectors are clogged and maybe a bottle of Inj. cleaner might help?

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
High fuel pressure would do that....also anything that would cause a rich condition like a vacuum problem, coolant temp sensor, O2 sensor etc.
I'd do a fuel pressure test and put a scanner on it, checking all sensors...

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTophttp://hometown.aol.com/zz430droptop67rs
~~~~and~~~~
70 RS/Z28
67 RS/SS Convertible, 70 RS/Z28

·
Registered
33 Posts
A dirty throttle body usually gives problems at idle only.

If it is carbon build up, one or two good romps will clear it up. Dirty injectors show up best at about 40-45mph in lockup, steady speed and going up a slight incline. This is felt as a miss, from uneven fuel distrubution on a MPI car. Don't see much of this anymore. Mid to late 80's buick 3.8 injectors did this once they got some miles on them. And it does not cause a rich condition.

Does it miss any when it's smoking?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No miss at all msb, just black smoke...I know
she uses elcheapo gas and she doesnt romp on the car at all.
At day light the smoke is not noticeable
only at night when there is headlights behind me that I notice the smoking.
I'll try using some high octain gas and take it out on the freeway to see if I can "decarbon" it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts