Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Retired
16,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While cleaning up wiring I come across this wire, a 10awg Red tied to a 12?awg Black/white stripe, in between are 2 fuseable link butts and orange guessing 16awg wire. I cant find the Black/white stripe wire at all in my AIM wiring diagram. Anyone run across this one?

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
If memory serves, the black / white wire is a resistance wire. On my 68, the black and white wire are connected to the generator lamp circuit. It was taped inside the wiring harness from the ignition switch and cluster harness. Looks like they did things a bit differently in 69 perhaps. Have you tried measuring it's resistance? I'm guess it will show about 50 - 100 ohms of resistance.

·
Retired
16,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The black with 2 white stripes head into the dash plug. The 10awg red is the one soldered to the other 2 Red 10awg wires right before they go to the horn relay and alt. I have not crawled inside yet to see if there is a black/white stripe wire inside at the fuse box. I cant find a black/white strip wire in the 69 AIM elec. drawing anywhere. Anyone else? Im stumped.

·
Retired
16,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok guys found it... black with white stripe with fuse link to 12awg red wire is for console guage cars. It goes to a pin that feeds the BATT guage along with a Black ground that also goes thru the firewall box. I found another schematic that had the console plug on it, the AIM doesnt show that. I saw the same wire on Jonesy's 69 last weekend in Duluth too.
Now I have new fuselink there and moving on. :)

·
Premium Member
6,626 Posts
Good thing I let you under the hood of my car.:beers:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I Have A Problem With No Power To Amp Gauge On My 68 With Councel Gauge Set.their Is A Black Wire And A Black With White Stripe Going To It.in The Drawings I Have It Showes On Wire Going To Horn Relay And One To Radiator Cross Support.my Question To You Is Where Did You Find Fuseable Link? How Far Past Horn Relay On Fender Well? Im Sure That Is Why I Have No Power To My Gauge But Power On Red Wire On Horn Relay.

·
Retired
16,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
See my photo at the start of this thread, the fuse link is the orange wire between the black/white and red 12awg wire. The red is hot from its 3way soldered connection in the harness. Then it links to the black/white with the orange fuselink wire, that feeds power to the black/white all the way to the guage plug. The black alone is the ground that goes to the guage and goes direct to the BATT guage too. Hope that helps.

·
Retired
16,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The orange wire in the photo above is the fuseable link that goes between the Red wire and the black/white stripe wire. That bundle is in the thick wad that rests toward the fender from the horn relay. Its a thick bundle there, with several 10awg red wires all soldered together then wrapped. The red wire is only about 8" long from the solder joint. Then it gets fuse linked to the Black/white.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have been doing some searches and found the above picture. From what I understand the black w/ white tracer wire should hook to the horn relay. My harness looks like this out by the voltage regulator, so how do I get the wire hooked to the horn relay. This is a repro harness for a 68.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts