Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a blasting cabinet. I saw a small one in Northern Tool flier, for about $60. Is small and cheap worthless and useless? Any advice on what to look for? i really don't have the room for a big floor model.

·
10,147 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
I had one of the cheap Craftsman ones for quite a while now, but it is really only a bucket with a screen on it and the nozzle with a hose. I finally got tired of making a huge mess whenever I blasted anything, so i finally just built my own cabinet out of plywood and 2x4s. It actually turned out pretty good! I modeled it after some of the big floor models, but then just stuck it outside my garage and whenever I need it, just take the airhose out there!

I wanted something big enough to hold large objects, but was not going to spend the $400 on a ready to go one.

Good luck,
Bill C.

------------------
Bill C.
Colorado Springs, CO

68 Camaro... someday!
71 Chevelle SS
70 Nova

·
Registered
142 Posts
I bought one of the bench top models. It is great for small parts. Anything the size of a control arm or bigger has to be done elsewhere. The things I don't like about it are 1) the view window gets pitted quickly and must be replaced frequently. 2) the light is a small fluorescent and not bright enough 3) the media always seems to collect away from the siphon pickup. Annoying but livable.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correction----Harbor Freight for $69.99. That's the one I was looking at in the flier. Going to the store, tonight.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Unreal,

Are you looking at the double door model? The one I got for my birthday is the single door. I think they discontinued the one I got.

I've blasted alot of parts in this cabinet and for the money my wife paid, I don't think it's a bad deal. The only big complaint I've got is changing out the damn view screen tear offs on the lexan. It's a major PIA. When you blast, try not to have the media bounce against the view screen. It will save the plastic and keep you from changing it often.

Some of the other things I noticed is that like Jim said the media does collect away from the siphon hole, but a simply tipping it or giving it a blast of air in the corner will keep everything going. It also does tend to leak media from the light hole and vent holes. I duct taped both up good.

I don't run a vaccum (sp) with mine and It does not come with a light or the extra view screen plastic tear offs. You have to buy them from thier catalog. The store in Omaha did not carry the light or the view screen tear offs. I went to a hardware store and bought a cheap light and mounted it in the hole where the vaccum hose is supposed to go. I also bought plastic and make my own view screen tear offs. I would recommend buying their view screen tear offs if they carry them at the store though. Like I said, changing them out is a PIA.

If you do buy it, good luck with it. I'm pretty happy with mine.

------------------

Dean

Racer#00

67 Camaro (Almost done!)
76 Trans Am Stock Car
68 Dodge D-100 P/U

[This message has been edited by Racer#00 (edited 02-28-2002).]

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Racer,
Didn't make it to the store tonight.....hate when work gets in the way of hobby! I'll try again, tomorrow.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Hey, both the Harbor Freight bench-top and the 40lb. freestanding cabinet blasters have the exact same nozzle/gun. In other words, they use the same amount of compressed air. I've got the freestanding cabinet and it takes a 10cfm at 90# from a compressor (220v 7hp) to keep up with it when you want to blast more than five minutes without waiting for the compressor to catch up.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sand blasting is addictive. Soon you'll want big enough to drive into

------------------
69 convertible
LT1 4L60E

1 - 9 of 9 Posts